Rolling Wood Storage Carts
Those Harbor Freight dollies are 'da  bomb. I use two in my shop for moving work around as well as finishing.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Great solution, and I like the idea of the adjustable shelves with the pipes. Also you are right makes it a lot easier to pull something out when it is on the side. I will also respectfully copy this?
Any thoughts about also storing plywood in this design?
(10-01-2016, 11:01 AM)Stove M Wrote: Any thoughts about also storing plywood in this design?

I built this cart over 20 years ago to store full and partial sheets of plywood, a few 2 x 4's, and short pieces of solid stock and moldings.

[Image: 15RILfoM6NRgFpnJP9J0Y6Lq-c4KF7MXJCw3jfNk...71-h628-no]

It's about 28" wide by 8' long and tall enough to support a full sheet of plywood.  It rolls on 4 cast iron wheels.  It has served me well all these years. 

John
Those little dollies are truly a GEM
Yes

You can cobble them together to do a lot of tasks
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Ed did not think the wheels on HF carts are heavy duty enough.  I agree, but it somewhat depends on which HF cart you purchased.  I was going to grab a couple, but the wheels were plastic, and when I pinged them with my fingernails, they felt and sounded hollow.  However, for the price, I like the idea.  I am a fan of Quality Farm and Fleet.  They have some decent casters and wheels for a good price.

They also have lynch pins, which you alluded to above.
[Image: 61YN7e7QmQL._SL1500_.jpg]

I would grab some PVC and slide over the pipes.  Wood will react with the steel and leave black streaks on the boards, especially oak.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Linch pins; couldn't think of the word.  Yes, those would work great.  slipping PVC pipe over the black iron is a good idea, too, but I haven't found it necessary.   I've stored KD wood on black iron pipe for over 20 years and never had a staining problem.  Green wood would be a different story for sure. 

I would prefer to have used heavier duty casters, too, but it comes down to needs and price.  I don't plan to move these carts very often, so as long as the casters don't break they will meet my needs.  If someone has a line on 4 casters that can handle at least 2000 lbs and costs less than $30 please pass along that info. 

Right now the HF dollies are on sale for about $13 each.  

John
(09-20-2016, 12:57 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Stacking the lumber on edge makes it a lot easier to pull out any board I'm interested in. 

I agree. I have too much lumber for a portable cart. I use a racking system instead for my exotics and uncommon domestics

[Image: IMAG0161_zpslqoucycm.jpg]

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

That looks way too organized. 

Very nice set up you have there. 

John
(10-02-2016, 12:50 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I would prefer to have used heavier duty casters, too, but it comes down to needs and price. 

You talked me into it.  I went to HF today and they had a pile of moving dollies with a big sign on top that said $9.  For that price, like you, I will try it.  When I got to the register, they rang up for $15.  Closer inspection of the sign stated that $9 price was for a smaller sized dolly.  Merchandise which is priced wrong must be sold at that price, BUT the sign clearly stated the dolly size, so the sign was just misplaced.  One of the store managers was there and she took responsibility for putting the sign there and sold them to me at $9.  In my opinion, in this case, technically she did not have to honor the $9 price tag, but they took care of the customer the right way!
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe