Mounting a power feeder suggestions
This is a continuation of my recent power feeder thread.  For anyone who didn't see it, I will be mounting a PM III, 1 HP feeder on an early 2000's 3HP Delta shaper.  A friend suggested the left hand side while facing the fence.  This is how I'm leaning right now unless I discover something new.  I do have both wings on the shaper.  I will most likely drill and tap holes as opposed to through bolts and nuts.  

Also, I've seen a few mounted with the fence shifted perpendicular to the miter slot.  It appears a greater length in cast iron surface is gained this way but the slot will obviously be obsolete if doing this.  I'm new to shapers so I really don't know what I don't know.  I rarely use my slot on my RT but I have used it occasionally.  I think I'd sacrifice cast length for slot access.  Thoughts?

I'd like to only drill and tap once and not learn later on that I should of put it somewhere else.  It has a very long arm so I don't think reach will be a huge consideration.  I will use it to push boards on end up against the fence for long profile type cuts.  So what's the word on placement other than reach and fence mobility?  Or am I overthinking this a bit?

I prefer bolts and nuts. The cast is not that thick between the ribs so that is why I do it this way. 

You likely will only get three points of connection ( unless you are very lucky and miss all the ribs) but three is enough 

[Image: shaper1.jpg]

You will notice I have it on the table and not the wing. That is the correct placement for maximum swing and rotational function. 

You will also notice I have it set so the fence ifs parallel to the slot. I use a coping sled extensively and I also have a couple of wooden table tops that I can set up for specialty cuts It is important to me to have this functionality 

[Image: shaper003.jpg]

[Image: shaper002.jpg]

Congrats on the PF you will be pleased with the abilities it affords 

Oh one more thing: I would lose the rear extension you do not really need it especially with the PF
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Mine is mounted like Joe's. Left of table, behind fence. Full mobility that way.
I lucked out and got 4 bolts on mine (powermatic)
I also used bolts and nuts. Casting is not thick enough for a good grip with few threads.
Cast strips fairly easy.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks for the input men. This was just what I was looking for. Through bolts it is.....and thanks for taking the time to post the pics Joe. Very helpful.

On a side note, the shaper is actually a PH-41, 1 HP unit. PF-41 is the current version. Mine only has 3 wheels unlike the PF with 4. This thing is something King Kong-like though. Most guys seem to just get by with enough power from their power feeder and someone in my other thread said my shaper was too small for my power feeder. A good problem to have, I guess.

neither your shaper nor your PF is too small. 

Once you get a feel for the way the two work you will be very pleased with the combo. 

If you have any other questions ask please. 

Happy to help 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I didn't say it was too small.
You will get by with what you have.....get by and get the job done albeit at the cost of some fiddling. That is good enough for many hobbyists.

I said that powerfeeders really shine when used with bigger more powerful spindle mouders (shapers in US terminology). I bought an old SCM l'Invincibile T160 to use with my Elu power feeder. Because I found the 3hp spindle moulder on my Stenberg combination machine was too small to really make the best of a power feeder. I plan to rebuild the T 160 the coming winter.
However I am part time professional so I have greater needs.

The ideal machine is.....good enough for it's job.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
I have bases on both sides of my shapers and suggest you drill both sides also for the flexibility. I use my feeders with the tower mounted on the right (standard infeed) side of my machines; this way, if something does slip at the tower or feeder knuckles, the feeder will move away from the cutterhead as opposed to when mounted left, the feeder will travel into the cutter. Just food for thought....

This isn't to say I don't use the feeders on the left, sure I do. With all the operations shapers are capable of, you need to be able to use all avenues of operation.
(09-25-2016, 09:14 AM)Carpenter Mark Wrote: the feeder will move away from the cutterhead as opposed to when mounted left, the feeder will travel into the cutter. Just food for thought....

So you don't have your feeder straddling the cutter? Wheels on both sides of the cutter?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(09-25-2016, 10:33 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: So you don't have your feeder straddling the cutter? Wheels on both sides of the cutter?

Check setups twice seems to make more sense   I also recall that if I did forget and the feed is on the left the  feeder will travel to the infeed until it hits the fence which drives the unit and stock away from the cutterhead

[quote pid='7356346' dateline='1474817610']
Stwood_ Wrote:So you don't have your feeder straddling the cutter? Wheels on both sides of the cutter?

[/quote]

Sigh.
Yes.
Yes I do. But I run a lot of cutters and heads with knives that are bigger than the space between the wheels. 

Quote: Check setups twice seems to make more sense   I also recall that if I did forget and the feed is on the left the  feeder will travel to the infeed until it hits the fence which drives the unit and stock away from the cutterhead
Yes Joe, I always check my set ups at least twice, it's why I can count to 10 on two hands.
Yes, the stock will move away from the cutter if there is enough room for the wheels to point in that direction, and the feeder will hit the fence if it can swing a large enough arc. Do you double check to see if that will happen if things go awry?

Things happen.
Stuff moves
Be safe
Just passing along a little  something I've noticed.