Plywood storage cart
I need to have a better option for plywood storage in my garage. I was thinking of a mobile plywood storage cart to move around like all my tools I would need capacity to hold 24 sheets 3/4" plywood.

Anyone else built one?
Just thinking about 24 sheets of 3/4" ply makes me tired. LOL. And in a garage no less.

I've looked at a bunch of cart plans but never found one that had that much capacity.
(09-20-2016, 08:36 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: I need to have a better option for plywood storage in my garage.  I was thinking of a mobile plywood storage cart to move around like all my tools  I would need capacity to hold 24 sheets 3/4" plywood.

Anyone else built one?

I built mine several years ago ... finished it ... loaded it up ... gave it a push ... and watched the light wheels disintegrate ....
Upset
Upset   I found some steel wheels and it works well now.

Good luck finding a set of wheels that will carry 20 3/4" sheets ... mine only holds 10 sheets and it is a bear to move.

Red
I use pallets and a pallet jack. This is fifty two 32x48x3/4 sheets I sprayed last night so 17 and a 1/3 sheets and I double stack the pallets worth.

[Image: IMG_20160920_063239_zps7np79zmu.jpg]

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

When i first moved in my shop i built a big 4'x4.5'x8' plywood rack/box and put some pretty good casters on and loaded it up and just laughed when it did not go. Too heavy. Should have known better. For smaller storage check out the big Adapa drywall carts. I put in a shed and moved my big plywood rack out it it.

For 24 sheets I would consider building a rack with a long reach pallet jack integrated into the design.

John
I dont have room to have a pallet jack in my garage

Normally I would not be storing that much plywood in my garage.  I have 32 sheets of 1/4" African Mahogany plywood and 12 3/4 sheets to store.  I will be selling off at least half of it over the next few months and using the rest as paneling in my man cave around the pool table.

When I sold off my dads business I loaded up wood factory carts with up to 3,000#s of hardwood lumber units.  I could get them moving but it did take a little extra and stopping was equally as fun.  I figure my needs are about 1600 lbs.

Those factory carts had steel casters which i was planning on using.    I was thinking some sort of A frame design so I could balance the weight proportionately to each side.  Just wanted to see if other had done anything like this and looking for lessons learned etc.
I am mystified why you need mobility for such a large pile, especially if it a temporary situation. In my garage shop I rarely tackle more than one sheet at a time, but if I lost all sense and had 20, I'd just stack them outside and throw a cover over it.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Mine isn't mobile, it's attached to a wall. Sheets stand up vertical and makes it easier to remove/store. Rack holds about 60 sheets I'd say. Built out of 2xby's.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Outside is not an option. I have a full kitchen to build in 2017 and three bathrooms to remodel so this is storage for at least a few years. There is also no guarantee that I can sell off excess inventory.

I can buy a metal A Frame cart that would work just fine for about $380 but I am frugal. I think I can build for less than half this cost.