Cutting boards
I sold a 2 inch thick 20by 16 walnut cutting board to a friend of mine. The buyers girlfriend washed it the other night and the boards fibers stood up after it got wet. What's a way to fix that.
Not to be a smart azz, but don't wash it.  At least don't soak it in water or put it in the dishwasher.  Hand wash only.  At this point, it will need sanded/scraped to remove the raised grain.

Was there any oil or wax on the board?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Sand it and then oil it real good with mineral oil.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Razor blade on edge may work well.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
By now you know that you should do three-four defuzz cycles of wet/dry/sand repeat before presenting.  Gives you the best shot at keeping the board from getting standing grain.  Even if it does, what's the problem?  Wet scrub it a few times and it will go away.  Wet, because the fibers are softer when wet. 

Bit of detergent and water wipe/rinse is all a meat board needs to stay well.  The one for anything but meat needs nothing.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Glenn,

You may try a combination of paraffin wax melted in MO for the finish. I put it in a mug on a coffee pot warmer. I like this much better than MO alone.

did  it wh mineral oil twice I guess I need to sand wet it and sand some and then give a good mineral oil rub down
You'll never be able to overcome the carelessness of people. In the future you may want to add a tag that explains proper care. Some people are oblivious to the idea that wood and water are not a good combination.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
(09-23-2016, 06:07 AM)Ron Brese Wrote: In the future you may want to add a tag that explains proper care.

Ron

This. When I made a bunch for gifts a few years back I made tags and included a bottle of mineral oil or small tub of oil/beeswax mix.
Just curious why anyone thinks that washing a cutting board is a bad idea.  Obviously dishwashers and soaking it are bad, but washing? Mine get washed every time they're used.