Paulk style workbenches
Anyone ever build/use a Ron Paulk style workbench?

something like this:
[Image: paulk-bench-2-10-746x420.jpg]

lots of variations out there.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I can see where this would make a great work site bench that 3-4 people could use at one time.  For me personally, I think it has too many holes.  I recently made a new work table and am still trying to figure out how many holes I really need and where to locate them.  I do like the access to the underside of the bench.  That would be handy for jigs and for setting fences to square up face frames.  I think more people are trying to build some degree of Festool's MFT into their benches.

Lonnie
yeah seems like a lot of holes.  maybe only needs 1/2 as many.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Yep, I have seen lot's of versions of this. Now I see someone, is actually selling them either complete or as a kit. Agree with the other posts, surely don't need that many dog holes. 3 to 4 rows I would think would handle everything.
Wink 
That bench makes me want to play a game of air hockey.
Yes
That many dog holes are nice using Parfdogs. You can find the video on youtube and it's the same thing the Festool MFT top includes
don't really like steel benchdogs.  Rather have plastic or brass.

Mark

A workbench without a vise?  Looks more like a versatile assembly table than a workbench.  Also, with that many holes, and as large as it is, I can see stuff getting lost in the cavity.  It's pretty deep and I would think it'd be hard to retrieve parts that fell through dog holes.  A traditional workbench is only about 24" wide, making it easier to reach to get stuff.  Another thing that kind of bothers me is the corners are all very sharp.  I tend to get klutsy every once in awhile and I could see myself getting hurt on those corners.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
There are a few mods out there that people have made that have a vise. I agree too many dog holes. I like big bench (been using one for years) so that part doesn't bother me.

Mark

I have made that bench. It is really well thought out and I recommend it. I use it mostly for sheet good breakdown and as a assembly area outside of my shop, since space is tight. Overall the weight is manageable for one person and setup is a snap.
Well, Bye...