Compressor Install ?
I'm planning to install a 40 Gal. compressor in a shed next to my shop. As far as the elec. connection I plan to dig a trench use conduit into box. My question is can I use pvc for the air supply? That will also be underground to the shop. What about the connection inside? I have enough hose to reach everything within the shop. So I won't be needing several connections.
I would use PEX over pvc   but for a short run (less than 50 feet) I would spring for copper 

well worth the peace of mind for buried pipe 

mainly because this is one job I want to do just one time 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I had planned on putting an air line underground to the middle of my shop when built it.  At that time my wife worked with a gal whose husband worked for the areas largest industrial compressor supplier. I figured I'd get some free advice by talking to him.  What I got was a lesson on all the reasons not to put an airline underground. The number one biggest reason not to is moisture.  When a compressor does its thing to compress the air heat is generated. Warm air entering a pipe that is underground condenses and you will have plenty of moisture coming out the other end.  The only solution is install an air dryer before any tool drops. Air dryers are not cheap and not quiet.

As for PVC or for that matter any plastic air line I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT DO IT.  I got a lesson on that subject as well. I will not debate this and I really could care less about all the reasons why it is okay in some people's opinions.  There is plenty of evidence out there why not to use it including proof of lines exploding in Washigton state where PVC for airlines is not allowed by law.

The following is from this OSHA bulletin. https://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

We're seeing more incidents of explosive failure, and we're citing more employers for using PVC air system piping," said Paul Merrill, senior safety inspector in L&I's Spokane office.
"It's probably just a matter of time before someone gets seriously injured in one of these explosions unless everyone pays more attention to the manufacturer's warnings," Merrill said.
Last year, a section of PVC pipe being used for compressed air exploded 27 feet above a warehouse floor. A fragment of the pipe flew 60 feet and embedded itself in a roll of paper. Fortunately, nobody was in the area at the time. 
A PVC pipe explosion in a new plant in Selah broke an employee's nose and cut his face.

PVC piping buried 3 feet underground at a Yakima manufacturing plant exploded, opening up a crater approximately 4 feet deep by 3 feet across.

Google PVC for air lines. You will get all kinds of answers as to why you can and why you can't and why why why.   

Good luck. 
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
You might consider the Maxline Tubing System www.rapidairproducts.com which is made for air pressure. It is like PVC but has a metal foil inside the plastic.  I got mine through Engineering Specialties, LLC Arpin, Wisconsin which gave advice on my installation. The price is reasonable and is easy to work with.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)