A pretty special Richardson Bros. Saw (pics warning)
Well I hate to say it's been a long while since I've posted anything on here, so I'll see if I can get some pictures posted with the new format! It's funny how life can get in the way and we stray from things we used to do.

Since I know most of you got tired of seeing posts of "old hand saws" about the only time I show something anymore is when I believe it's something special, has some historical significance or beauty to it. I believe this one might fit the bill in every category that I just mentioned.

I picked this one up on a "buy it now" for a price that isn't gloat-able by any means but one that I didn't mind paying either. I was lucky enough to catch the very beginning of the listing as I'm sure it wouldn't have lasted too long.

It's more than likely an early 1870 era Richardson Bros. No.15 with the 1867 Washbourne patented split/spanner nut screws and earlier eagle medallion  with the "Challenge" ribbon. The thing that caught my eye was the overall blade condition and what appeared to be a rosewood handle, which are rarer than hens teeth on these older saws. Well, in my estimation anyway but take that with a grain of salt! lol 

When I received it the other day, I wasn't disappointed. The etch is bold, along with the No. being struck instead of etched. The handle was somewhat grungy but a careful cleaning revealed some beautifully grained Brazilian Rosewood with a little sapwood on the back side that creates a wonderful contrast. The split/spanner nuts have never been messed with and have all the draw filing marks in the same direction. I lightly cleaned & hand polished the blade but used no abrasives.  I don't think I over did it on this one, well not in my eye anyway, but others may disagree. 

Mr. Seymour evidently loved his new saw, with good reason, as he marked it neatly in 3 locations so others, including himself, would definitely know who it belonged to.

Here are the pictures that I hope all can appreciate from a vintage tool aspect anyway, enjoy!

P.S. I have yet to sharpen it but that will come next!

[Image: dscn9470.jpg]

[Image: dscn9474.jpg]

[Image: dscn9475.jpg]

[Image: dscn9476.jpg]

[Image: dscn9477.jpg]

[Image: dscn9478.jpg]

[Image: dscn9479.jpg]

[Image: dscn9482.jpg]

[Image: dscn9484.jpg]

[Image: dscn9472.jpg]
Take care,
Daryl
Very nice.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
That's a real gem, Daryl- fantastic patina!  Thanks for sharing.  Couldn't have found a better steward to start it's next chapter.
You were going to shoot a bear with a nail gun?*likes this*
-carl
Sweet!!! 
Cool
Simply awesome. Best saw discovery I've seen all year. Congrats on finding it, Daryl.

Josh
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

Very nice.
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Daryl,
Nice catch. Lets see...where did I leave the suck-o-meter....oh here it is. Yup, that is an 11 out of a possible 10.

Talk to me about the Challenge Medallion That is very unique to say the least. Like the rest of the saw.

Nice!!

mark

Yes
Way over-done.  Send it to me immediately, and I'll start using it in the shop in order to put some patina back on it for you.  
Big Grin
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Wow that's a pretty saw. Handle looks awesome to hold.
Wow, beautiful saw. My favorite maker to boot. Love that handle shape.

Jonathan

I only regret the tools I didn't buy!

“Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge