Win Some,Lose Some
On the losing side, on the #7, I call George's plane, the lateral lever was missing it's disc. I didn't think it was much of a problem, I'ld just pull one off a parts plane. It came off easy but putting it back on George's plane the old cast iron broke.

On winning side, I remembered a couple of planes at the fleamarket that might not have sold, a low knob #7 missing it's blade, cap iron and lever cap.  and a English Rapier #450 (# 4 1/2) with busted sides . The #7 had sold but the Rapier, as if someone would want it, hadn't. Looking on line, I found out on a Rapier plane, neither the frog's bottom nor it's bed were machined. The later Stanley style frog has lots meat for machining. Since I have a mill/drill, it's no big deal. Here is the sweet bonus, and after cleaning the  the blade, it was a Swedish Jernbolaget. I have an Anchor brand ( Jernbolager) #6 with a modern Woolco purchased English Stanley blade. I'm still smiling over my $10 purchase. I also bought a Millers Fall 12" #831 brace. Holdall chuck ,rosewood and fully boxed ratchet, in decent working shape also for $10. I think it's my first 12" brace I've found. And a E.A. Berg gouge. 

You win some, you lose some.
A man of foolish pursuits
Sorry to hear about your frog. Welcome to the brittle world of cast iron. Please do not feel bad as it was just waiting for the right moment to cut loose. My years of plane rehabbing have plenty of stories of brittle broken parts and snapped screws. Just find a donor #6 or #7 of the same era and do a donor swap. George would applaud your ingenuity.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(09-25-2016, 09:08 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: On the losing side, on the #7, I call George's plane, the lateral lever was missing it's disc. I didn't think it was much of a problem, I'ld just pull one off a parts plane. It came off easy but putting it back on George's plane the old cast iron broke.

Sorry to hear this.  BTDT, which is why I am very selective about attempting to replace lateral adjustment levers; in the earlier models I've concluded that its better not to replace them, and resort to tapping, as was done with the pre-lateral planes anyway.  I frankly never really use the lateral lever to adjust, its more accurate to use a light brass hammer, or a scrap piece of hardwood to tap the side of the iron.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Finding a donor was plan "A", but here in BC,it's not rich in old Stanleys, so on to plan "B". Plan "C" was  tapping. I know this is pure heresy but, after milling and fitting the replacement frog will probably work as well than the original .  It is a heavier casting. It will look like a Millers Fall with the red frog . Which, chuckle, in my view is not a bad thing. I'm not a collector ,all tools have to work. And work well. 

Looking up Rapier on the UKwoodworking, Rapier was rated on par with Acorn(???) at the bottom of the list and a couple of steps below Stanley Handyman.They were made in the late 50s early 60s up on the border with Scotland for DIY market. If they had milled the frog bottom/seats, it would have been a decent plane, but would not have worked for me. The lever cap is heavily nickel  plated and doesn't have the edge chewed off from using it as a screwdriver, so George's plane will get pretty. 

I'm still giddy over finding the Swedish blade. Now off to grind and sharpen some  2 3/8" blades.

Ray
A man of foolish pursuits