Framing Nailer and Compressor
To the OP, you'd be surprised how small of a compressor will happily run a framing gun. Just needs enough pressure which they all have. A 3 gallon might make you wait every once in a while, but it depends how quickly you're firing the gun. The only way you would outrun a 6 gallon is if you're bump nailing roofing or something!

That said, I like the rental option if it's truly a one-time use. Look into a battery or CO2 cartridge model. No compressor to worry about.
Benny

The HF nailers are a flat out bargain. I'm not a trim carpenter by trade but I've used the HF flooring nailer and 23 gauge pinner enough to feel comfortable saying they are a great value. I was just looking at their crown staplers today as I need to replace the one I have. HF has some great coupons as well.

I would only use a pneumatic nailer. It's so much easier to frame a wall, IMO. Use your hammer claw and speed square to keep your lumber where you need it when sinking a nail. Toe nailing is much easier as well.

Compressors are dirt cheap on CL and even a small Husky or Campbell Hausfield will power it with only mild delays. Not a huge deal and you probably won't be moving that fast anyways.

don't know about the compressors, but another vote for the harbor freight nailer.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I have this harbor fright nailer #69927.
[url=http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=framing+nailer][/url]It's fine, I'm remolding my house with it now. Building and moving lots of walls. Every once in a while I have to hammer a nail flush but generally it's fine. Keep it oiled, just like any nailer. You shouldn't need a real big compressor. Something cheap. It uses a 21 degree nail which is very common. Lows and HD sell them in 25 pound boxes. It's not a specialty nail, My only beef with it is that it wastes the last five or six nails so you have to throw them out. Don't force them through or they'll get jammed. Just dump them out and pit in new nails. I probably wouldn't buy the HF nails. I had a cheap Campbell Hausfeld nailer and I got about a year out of it. The HF has held up much better. More metal, less plastic.
Nails for this nailer will be 3-1/4"

I've got a 20% off HF coupon which I'd be happy to send you. Shoot me your address.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Why not go cordless. Paslode has a framing nailer that would cost $400 and a 1,000 nails would be another $40. Use it an then sell the Air Nailer with the remaining nails. You could probably get close to $300 so you basically rent the tool for $100.

Can't see a compressor and nailer from Harbor freight costing much less.
I bought my nailer/compresser as a combo.  They used to have the little palm nailer as a bonus.  That thing has saved me a couple of times.  Don't the nailer companies do this any more?  Seems like the consumer version of the free nail gun they give to contractors to get them to buy nails.
That's the way I bought mine too Hitachi framing nailer and 4 gallon compressor at HD when they were clearing them ou.  Must be 10 years old never had an issue that I didn't cause
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(09-26-2016, 03:51 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Joe you don't know either's comfort level with a hammer.  

so put an air nailer in their hand????
i dont care who ya are but thats hilarious!
(09-29-2016, 05:07 PM)sroxberg Wrote: Why not go cordless. Paslode has a framing nailer that would cost $400 and a 1,000 nails would be another $40. Use it an then sell the Air Nailer with the remaining nails. You could probably get close to $300 so you basically rent the tool for $100.

Can't see a compressor and nailer from Harbor freight costing much less.

Because those gas cartridge nail guns from paslode  are garbage. They are  expensive to run and the failure rate on them is atrotious and they are extremely finneky. Hence why there are battery powered ones now that are very good now. 

If he needs a compressor and might use the nail gun again I'd say go with a HF nail gun and whatever compressor you want. Their nail guns are quite good now. I'll take their framer over a portercable 350 any day. 
      The better route would be to get a refurbished hitachi package deal from big Sky tool.
          I may be ordering another framer from them but thinking of a coil framer this time as I am finding good deals on coil framing nails locally. Have never used one though. 

But if that's the only project then just a  good hammer preferably a stiletto which you can get the titanium head wood handle  version for around $50 and is a great hammer. Way better than anything you buy at the borgs. Lighter, easier on the arm and drives nails like a heavy hammer. Stay away from the estwing  hamers. Durable but painful to use.
(10-02-2016, 07:00 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: If he needs a compressor and might use the nail gun again I'd say go with a HF nail gun and whatever compressor you want. 
This would be my recommendation.  Basically, buy the compressor that will serve present and future needs (within reason), as even a very small unit will drive and keep up with a framing nailer, assuming you're not a pro.  I've never been able to outrun my PC pancake from a couple of decades ago, but then, I stink at framing.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"