Sliding lid box design question
I'm building several wooden boxes with sliding lids. These are made to hold photographs and are of typical design. I'm trying to come up with something a bit different for the lid handle.  I know I could just drill a finger hole. I've also made them where the handle is mitered into the box so when closed, it disguises that the lid slides open. I'd like to add a little wow factor with a contrasting handle, maybe of some contrasting or exotic wood. I would appreciate any ideas on a way to dress up the design. Thanks!
use a stick.  The picture is not  a handle, but it may provide inspiration.  It should not be hard to find one that is weathered nice and has the right bend.  You might even find one with some worm tracks and such.  Simply heat it up to kill any future critters which might be inside as larvae.

[Image: usb_slide_01.jpg]
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
That is a clever idea Cecil. Thanks for the inspiration!
make the lid with a whale tail shape on the end.
The sliding lid limits your options nicely. The lid either protrudes off one or both ends ( with a whale tail or any other shape) or has a protrusion up off the lid ( stick shaped or any other) or a depression or finger hole in the lid. Three ways. So grab a pencil and sketch as many variations of those three ideas as you can. This method can be at least as fertile as asking on this forum - both are good approaches - but the sketchbook approach would make the result uniquely yours.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Thank you guys. I've built a few dozen of these boxes over the past few months and I know there are many ways to 'skin this cat'.  I think I've tried most of them, which is why I turned to the fertile minds of Woodnet for inspiration. I do like the stick idea. And the 'whale' shape has me thinking. Maybe I can design the entire sliding lid in the shape of something, so the protruding handle is a part of the over all design... As a woodworker, I tend to get bored pretty quickly when building the same thing multiple times. I do appreciate everyone's help!
(09-27-2016, 10:17 AM)ed kerns Wrote: Maybe I can design the entire sliding lid in the shape of something, so the protruding handle is a part of the over all design... As a woodworker, I tend to get bored pretty quickly when building the same thing multiple times. I do appreciate everyone's help!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...minos2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...minos1.jpg

Not classy, but folks appreciate being fooled.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Cut a coin in half, chisel a little slot, glue in the half coin.

Lots of other little things can also make a handle
[Image: Dominos1.jpg]

[Image: Dominos2.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks to all for the advice. I thought I'd try to post a pic of the final project. Nothing fancy. The boxes are quarter sawn White Oak, the sliding lids are just Luan ply. Accent handles are Walnut, Blood Wood, Purple heart and Red Cedar. The miter splines are Ebony. Everything bits and pieces of scraps laying around. These boxes are designed to hold 8x10 prints for a photographer who uses them as part of a sales incentive.
[Image: FullSizeRender_zpshx0ju8ux.jpg][/img]