Irwin and Oldham 10" Saw Blades
Has anyone here used Irwin 24T blades or any Irwin blade for that matter? If so what is your opinion? I need to replace a used up Oldham 24T. I really liked the Oldham but I haven't been able to locate that tooth count only 40 and 60T. Perhaps someone knows of a source for the 24T blade.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
You mean this one?  https://www.amazon.com/Tools-MARATHON-Ca...+saw+blade

Looks like Oldham has discontinued. I've got the 40 GP, and it lives on the saw for rips and crude work.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Have you used that blade? Amazon reviews seem OK. I haven't bought a blade in quite a while and didn't realize that was an Irwin label. Still wondering about the Oldham 24T blade.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Amazon has the 24 T 10" blade together with a 60 T blade in a combo pack for $30 with free shipping. Amazing.

John
Just the 24 tooth: https://www.zoro.com/oldham-circular-saw...lsrc=aw.ds
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
(09-27-2016, 09:33 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Amazon has the 24 T 10" blade together with a 60 T blade in a combo pack for $30 with free shipping.  Amazing.

John

(09-27-2016, 09:36 AM)texaswally Wrote: Just the 24 tooth: https://www.zoro.com/oldham-circular-saw...lsrc=aw.ds

Thanks guys. My local HD used to have them but I haven't seen any in a good while.

Raised  That is really amazing considering the company was bought by Pentair in 2002 and the factory was closed in 2005   

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-w...saw-blades

I knew I hadn't seen them for a long time but I didn't think it had been that long.  I have an Oldham rip blade that I used to think was the best blade I owned until I bought a Freud blade on sale somewhere. There is no comparison.  I'd suggest you spend a few extra bucks and get a Freud. You won't regret it.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
Yeah I saw that Finewoodworking article, also read a couple others. Since they are still available after all these years it seems they are still being made. I too think that Oldham blade is/was a good blade, I have two Freud ripping blades, one a full width FT grind and the other a thin kerf ATB grind. Since I rip a lot of salvaged wood I prefer the Oldham and also really don't think either Freud is noticeably better. JMO.

Nobody is commenting on the Irwin blades. Maybe that says something in itself.
Smirk

The Irwin blades made in Italy are good.  The ones made in China are not.  The Chinese ones, IMO, should be relegated to construction framing duty.  Even the Amazon ad is misleading.  The blade is 24T rip blade, but the description says "Table / Miter / Circular..."  A rip blade is not a multi-purpose blade.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Interesting timing. I started a new project and after using an Oldham 50T combo blade for over a year (cutting hardwoods and polycarbonate) I changed to an Irwin "Marples" 50T combo blade. The Marples series are made in Italy (possibly by the Freud supplier??) and this blade did a great job ripping cherry as thick as 2-3/4". I also have the Marples 24T riipping blade and the 60T crosscut blade but I have not used these yet. All are full kerf.

I've used 50T combo blades for quite some time and I continue to do so because I get good results. I seldom edge joint after ripping and my glue-ups are solid.
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com