Vinyl Tile over Tile?
My utility room floor is covered with 12 x 12 vinyl tiles.  I have no idea how old they are, but I'm guessing they were put down in the 80s.
They're really ugly, and a bunch are coming up.

a friend told me that instead of pulling up all the old tiles, I can just replace the loose ones and put down a new set right on top.  
Any thoughts?

If a bunch are coming up, how long will it be before the ones you leave in place come up ?    Remove them as the new tiles my stick to them but if the old ones come loose it doesn't matter if they are stuck to the old tiles.  Roly
(09-27-2016, 07:58 AM)Roly Wrote: If a bunch are coming up, how long will it be before the ones you leave in place come up ?    Remove them as the new tiles my stick to them but if the old ones come loose it doesn't matter if they are stuck to the old tiles.  Roly

+1. Do it right or do it twice, the choice is yours.
(09-27-2016, 08:46 AM)jlanciani Wrote: +1. Do it right or do it twice, the choice is yours.

+2.  My father did what your friend proposed, and 4 years later I had to deal with the result, and pulled off two layers of tile.

Don't get the self sticking tile, get the plain ones and use a good tile adhesive; a little bit more work but you won't be sorry you did it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I had a feeling you all would say that.

Thanks.

You might take a look at sheet vinyl also, if your utiility room has a washing machine. If it is not too big, you would be able to cover it seamlessly, reducing the potential of water damage. You should definitely pull up the old tile whatever you decide on.
(09-28-2016, 09:59 AM)Ed in NC Wrote: You might take a look at sheet vinyl also, if your utiility room has a washing machine. If it is not too big, you would be able to cover it seamlessly, reducing the potential of water damage. You should definitely pull up the old tile whatever you decide on.

^^^^^
This 
Yes
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Another option is 1/4 underlayment screwed down then put the new flooring on that, but that changes floor heights which may or may not be a factor for you. In our old house I pulled up carpeting to find out that someone had glued down that carpeting that has the black rubberized backing. someone else had pulled it up but there was still a lot of subfloor with the black stuff still stuck to it. I vacuumed up what I could then screwed down underlayment before putting down the next flooring.
I would also suggest considering sheet vinyl. I did pretty much the same job a few years back and put down luan before the new tiles and within 6 months the seams were noticeable.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Thanks again.