Vinyl Tile over Tile?
(09-27-2016, 07:49 AM)David Stone Wrote: My utility room floor is covered with 12 x 12 vinyl tiles.  I have no idea how old they are, but I'm guessing they were put down in the 80s.
They're really ugly, and a bunch are coming up.

a friend told me that instead of pulling up all the old tiles, I can just replace the loose ones and put down a new set right on top.  
Any thoughts?

For me it's a balance of time and effort vs results.  While one always wants to do the best job, sometimes time and effort don't make "economic" sense.

About 10 years ago, the bathroom in a house I bought needed replaced.  The DPO had installed self-stick tile squares over ceramic tile, and a few were broken or coming loose.  The few hours vs several days of effort convinced me to pull up just the loose tile, place filler self-stick tile in those places, then put new self stick tile over it.

I figured that would buy me a few years until I remodeled the bathroom.  Lots of stuff happened, as life does, and it still looks fine after 10 years - even with the little ones trying to turn it into a swimming pool nearly daily.  Tiles still look great, none have come loose.

So don't be too afraid of the easier, simpler plan, depending on the longer term plans for the room and the house.