Running Ethernet cable for Security Camera's
I need to run some Ethernet cables for security cameras at my mothers house. I plan to run them out of the basement through the floor joists and then up to the gutter line. It is the easiest way to install four Power over Ethernet cameras and I don't really have any access from the attic area and I'd like the DVR and screen to be in the basement.

I'm looking for some sort of conduit or cable protector to use on the vertical sections up to a box mounted under the eves. 

What would you recommend?
Pvc electrical conduit would be my choice without seeing it.    Roly
I'd go with EMT or even plastic conduit  pieces.  They also make direct burial cat5 or cat6 cable.

I guess the problem with wifi cameras is you still need to get power to them.
(09-28-2016, 07:04 PM)DustyDan Wrote: I'd go with EMT or even plastic conduit  pieces.  They also make direct burial cat5 or cat6 cable.

I guess the problem with wifi cameras is you still need to get power to them.

The nice thing about POE or Power over Ethernet is that you get both the signal and power over a single Ethernet cable.

That is why I Choose it.
(09-28-2016, 08:32 PM)sroxberg Wrote: The nice thing about POE or Power over Ethernet is that you get both the signal and power over a single Ethernet cable.

That is why I Choose it.

My meager understanding of ethernet cabling is that only four of the eight conductors are actually used.  Is it safe to assume that two or more of the unused conductors supply DC to the equipment?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(09-29-2016, 08:59 AM)TDKPE Wrote: My meager understanding of ethernet cabling is that only four of the eight conductors are actually used.  Is it safe to assume that two or more of the unused conductors supply DC to the equipment?

Yes, the unused connectors from the Ethernet carry a low voltage DC current from the Router/hub. It makes wiring a lot easier without having to place power outlets near the camera's.
Care to share the camera make/model. I would like to put up a few myself and POE version would rock.
(09-30-2016, 07:54 AM)vernonator Wrote: Care to share the camera make/model. I would like to put up a few myself and POE version would rock.

+1
I'm installing a Foscam HD Professional 720P NVR Security System. It supports 8 camera's but the kit that  I purchased only included 4.

I bought the kit with a 1TB DVR from Microcenter in Kansas City when it was on sale for $249. Happy with the camera's so far. They are only 720P.

Just checked the Microcenter site and they don't list them anymore but I found this on Amazon, it is the same unit just more expensive.

Amazon Camera Set

The POE (Power Over Ethernet) requires a special hub that supports it, a NVR that supports it or what they call POE Injectors that add the power to the cable. Also be careful because some 8 port switches with POE listed may only support POE on 4 of the ports.

Definitely an easy way to hard wire camera's.