MiniMax J/P Motor Repair
You may recall I asked about putting a Byrd head on my MiniMax FS-35 J/P.  In that thread, I mentioned that the motor bogged down when I try to take off any more than a 1/32" bite.  After asking some questions to some other colleagues, I decided to remove the motor, which isn't the easiest thing to do on that machine.  The leading hypothesis was that the run capacitor was bad.  My electrical skills are pretty basic, but my testing suggested it was indeed bad.  But I wasn't all that confident in my diagnosis.  Worse, there was no info. on that capacitor about its specs., nor could I find anything on the internet about the motor.  It was made in the 1980's so that's not a surprise. 

I decided the best option was to take it a local motor shop and let someone who knows what they are doing look at it.  It took 7 business days but I got a call today to say the motor was ready for pickup.  The run capacitor was the root of the problem, and they installed a new one with a 35 microfarad rating.  I also had them install new shaft bearings as long as they were at it.  I'm hoping I never have to look at this motor again. 

I got the motor reinstalled this afternoon with as much difficulty as it took to remove it.  But it runs great now so it was worth the aggravation.  I can take a 1/16" bite now and the motor hardly flinches.  I didn't try a heavier cut, but I'm pretty confident it can handle more. 

Turns out the Byrd head I had a line on for a really good price won't fit my version of the FS-35.  But if I decide to buy one in the future I have reasonable confidence now that the motor will be able to handle the increased load.  In it's current form it's great no longer having to take baby bites when planing.  That was getting pretty old when I had to run a good sized stack of lumber.

John
Glad you found the problem and repaired it I thought to myself something was hinky when you mentioned how little you could remove on one pass
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I was also puzzled by a motor that size not handling the cuts more easily. Glad you got it worked out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nice.. you will get years of service now ....
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

When you're in the yellow pages, what do you search for?  "Small motor repair"?
(09-29-2016, 12:24 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: When you're in the yellow pages, what do you search for?  "Small motor repair"?

electric motor repair service with your local city works great using google.

Works with yellow pages too
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Would you be willing to share your source for the cutterhead? I have an older fs-35, probably 90's vintage that I would like to put a spiral head on. What are the differences between the various vintages with respect to the cutterhead fitment?

Thanks,
Jon
My FS-35 has the mortiser on the back of the machine.  The Byrd head I was looking at was made for a later version where they moved the mortiser to the front of the machine.  If yours is of that type, then the head might fit it.  I was talking with Brian at Holbren.  Contact him if you think it might be a fit and he can send you the drawings so you can check to see if it will work.  Good luck.

John
I have an old Minimax bandsaw 220 volt which I bought cheap. It turns out the motor was getting hot to where you could not keep your hand on it after it ran for a while. I took it out and over to a local motor shop. They said it was full of 20 years of saw dust. When I got it back it now just runs warm not hot.
I was just reading along. I only have 2 thoughts about MM bandsaws, I helped Fred move one, and they are a tad heavy.

For the money one costs new I am very surprised it didn't come with a TEFC motor.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW