Anybody build a cajon?
So I've been a drummer for forty plus years and a woodworker for about 25. One of the trendy things in percussion these days is called a cajon. Basically just a wooden box with a sound hole cut in it, they've been around for a long long time. They are played with the hands, sort of like bongos.
I went down to my local music store and played a few and looked at the construction - and price tags. They range from sub $100 models up to a few hundred, and part of me says just buy it and be done, but where is the fun in that? Building one would not be difficult except for one caveat; I have no idea what it would sound like when it's done. There are plans and youtube videos on line, but I was wondering if anybody here has actually built one and would be willing to share their experience. Mostly I'm wondering about the different wood choices and how they affect sound. Most of the lower to mid level store bought models seem to be primarily baltic birch plywood. The front playing surface, called a tapa, is very thin (about 1/8") and is a solid piece about 12"x20" so hardwood there would seem impractical, but I know selecting the right tone woods is critical in the design of most acoustic instruments. Anybody have first hand experience?
No experience, but solid or laminated spruce is used for guitar tops for the best all around sound. Solid being preferred as it resonates the best as it ages.
Solid maple is louder, but too tinny for guitars tops.
For drum beating, I'm not sure what to suggest. I had an old wooden wash tub that sounded good.
Tongue drums for the kids are as far is I've gone.

I'd think it's something you would need to make a few and see what works best, or more to the point, makes the sound that YOU want it to make.

I'd certainly want to make a few basic variations before I went buying exotic tone wood, that might not sound any better because of other design factors.
Google "how to build a cajon" and read away!
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
Thanks guys. Just to be clear I have read what's on line. Even watched the videos with audio of various cajons. I was just hoping to find a kindred spirit who may have traveled this path before me.
I built one for my son.  I used 1/2" Oak ply for the sides bottom and top and 1/8 birch for the front and back.  I also installed a snare to give it a slight rattle when tapped at the upper right corner.  I glued all parts but the top 6" of the front. I installed screws in the top 6" of the front so it could be tuned to give the right "crack and rattle" sound to suit him.

I looked at plans on you tube and the net, then my son and I designed one specifically for him. FWIW, there really is no one style, wood type or size.

Vic
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen,”. Winston Churchill.
Thanks Vic. I noticed most of the fronts were just screwed on. Does tightening or loosening those screws make a discernible difference in the sound? Also, did you attach the snare permanently, or is it adjustable?
(09-29-2016, 09:16 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Thanks Vic. I noticed most of the fronts were just screwed on. Does tightening or loosening those screws make a discernible difference in the sound? Also, did you attach the snare permanently, or is it adjustable?

You can screw the front on, but the only part that must be loose is about the top 6"or so.  It needs to be loose so it can make a snapping sound when desired. You tighten or loosen the screws to change the sound when struck at the top. Yes, I attached the snare permanently--after moving it around to get the sound we wanted.  It is arranged so that a hard slap at the upper right corner will give a  "crack, shhhhhh sound.

Vic
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen,”. Winston Churchill.
My nephew wanted to build one.  I have equipment and he does not.  Therefore I helped build one.  He used some scrap plywood he picked up from a cabinet shop.  Cabinet grade, but I cannot remember the species.  If I recall correctly, he used a coil spring he salvaged from somewhere for the snare.  To me, it sounded great when he was done.  I am a hearing aid wearer, so that means nothing.  
Crazy .  I will say that his high school band teacher liked it.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
First, sorry no pictures. Made it and gave it to my son, a very accomplished drummer.

I made the cajon out of 1/2 baltic birch. My son wanted a three-chamber cajon so that's what we did. Two on top of different sizes and a large one below. The overall size was 18Hx12Wx10D. Top chambers were roughly 5 and 7 inches wide and 6 inches tall. I grooved in the upper divider so it could be removed if desired. We really didn't know what kind of sound this would give.  The separation baffle between top and bottom was grooved glued and screwed. The top sections have two sound holes 2 and 3in diameter. The lower larger chamber has one 6in diameter sound hole. 

Since you sit on this to play I included a couple of 3in triangular reinforcements glued and screwed at the bottom to help with racking. All corner joints were overlapped dadoes for appearance. (no end grain showing). Again glued and screwed. Two runners on the bottom to raise it off the floor. 

The back is a 3/16 piece of cabinet quality oak plywood. It's what I had.  I made multiple fronts pieces. My son had some very very old SYP we sliced and edge glued then planed down to 3/16 thick. Did the same with some very old white oak and another with eastern red cedar. Cheap and what I had and its pretty. Of course I made a front out of the oak plywood too. 

The front is loosely held on by screws to get that slap sound. No screw on the divider between the upper two chambers.  

He's tried all the different fronts and there is a noticeable difference in sound with the different woods. Usually uses the oak panel.  He loves it the 3-tone playability. He has never taken out that removable divider. He has put some tack-on rubber feet to keep if from sliding so easily across the stage and experimented with screw locations, number and tightness. 

That's my story. Hope it helps.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.