Anybody build a cajon?
I should stop reading this site, now I have to make one.  Son is a good drummer, he's probably like one of these

On edit: now that I've seen a batch of youtube videos, I'm definitely going to build one. I have enough 1/2" plywood for the sides. I might use solid wood top and bottom, spruce back and not sure about the front. I don't think I'm going to depart from the minimum instrument.
I'm using spruce for the front, soft Maple for the back, Sycamore for the top.  The bottom is going to be 3/4" ply and the sides 1/2" ply.  We'll see how it goes.  Just building it as a warmup for guitars, so if it doesn't work that well I'm not going to be too unhappy
O.P here  - I did get around to building one the other day. I had a bunch of wide Ash boards, so made mine primarily of that. I used 1/8 Baltic Birch for the front playing surface. I just didn't think solid wood that size and that thin would hold up. I think it sounds surprisingly good, but can't help but wonder how changes in the type of wood, type of construction and size would affect the sound. I also put a snare in mine with an on/off. It allows a little more variety to the sound.
since it's held on with screws, that means it's easy to replace if it breaks.  I got it from Lowes, in the past I have seen some really nice pieces of spruce in their cheap pile because qs wood has lots of knots.  This piece has tight grain and is almost perfectly qs. Tap tone is really good too.
Excellent! Please let us know how you like the over all sound.