Shop made riser block?
(10-01-2016, 08:25 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Wasn't shop made band saws made of plywood a common thing in the late 70's and early 80's?  

I have no cat in the fight, I am past trying to mcguyver things that have easy solutions like this. Cant get a riserblock, and need more resaw, buy a BS dedicated for RS, like I did. 

10 years ago, I would have fooled with it though. 
Laugh

I built two out of wood 

the first one failed pretty badly 

The spine twisted after 6 yrs to an unworkable condition

the second one was better but the one thing I did learn was the spine is what failed 

so the second one I built around a piece of heavy wall steel tube poured full of concrete and then laminated wood around that 

That one has survived going on 25 yrs now (not in my shop but a friends now) He does not put much to it just an occasional resaw of softwood
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(10-01-2016, 08:25 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Wasn't shop made band saws made of plywood a common thing in the late 70's and early 80's?  

I have no cat in the fight, I am past trying to mcguyver things that have easy solutions like this. Cant get a riserblock, and need more resaw, buy a BS dedicated for RS, like I did. 

10 years ago, I would have fooled with it though. 
Laugh

They were probably made with the saw height in mind without a riser block. Looks like they fell out of fashion for some darn reason.
Laugh

There is a reason bridges are not made of wood anymore. The strength of wood versus the strength of steel. Which would win?
WoodTinker