Blew budget on new bandsaw - enough left over for only one blade, which one?
It depends what yo are cutting. I make toys and models. I have a scroll saw for thin materiel and very sharp turns. I also have a 12" band saw for thicker materiel. I also make pretty sharp turns too. I use a 1/8" blade mostly. It will come with trial and error as to which blade to use. I rarely ever use anything larger than the 1/.8"
(10-01-2016, 06:33 PM)Fred Kingston Wrote: I always use a 1" blade

Well yeah, but most of us don't cut cars in half............
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The answer to your question involves knowing what you plan to cut: how thick and what sort of radius cuts you want to make.

You'll want a 1/4 inch 6-10 tpi blade for thin stock (1/4 inch) and tight curves.
For 1/2 inch stock and thicker and cutting with moderate curves get a 3/8 - 6 tpi blade.

Those two will do most of what you need (other than resawing). You can get those 2 as Timberwolf blades from Suffolk machine for about $45 and shipping.
I like this place every blade is made just for you, no lot run junk with a robot weld. Call them with your needs at the number here
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I have a couple of the Lenox Diemasters for my saw. They seem to be pretty good blades but there are several others people swear by.
FWIW  I keep a Morse 1/4" blade on my 14" saw. I resaw up to 2" thick, 8' long into thin strips fairly regular. I cut plywood most of the time and after trying a few blades I have found there isn't any real difference in my application between brands.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Blew budget on new bandsaw - enough left over for only one blade, which one?

Now that's funny
Laugh  bandsaw is useless without blades (several) with backups.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Skip taking SWMBO out 2x and you can get 2 blades.  As others have suggested, start with a 3/8" blade.  You can resaw with a 3/8" 4 tpi blade if you take it slow.  For the tighter radius stuff, a 1/4" blade.  I like Woodslicer from Highland Tools.  The bimetal and carbide tipped blades are nice, but they require a healthy up front investment.  You can sharpen a BS blade!  A Dremel with a stone bit will work just fine, especially on a 3/8" or larger blade.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-03-2016, 08:19 AM)Woodshop Wrote: Blew budget on new bandsaw - enough left over for only one blade, which one?

Now that's funny
Laugh  bandsaw is useless without blades (several) with backups.

The bandsaw went on sale so the timing of that has a little to do with it.  Let me explain.

We have an agreement for discretionary personal spending.  We both agreed that having the freedom to buy things things we want just for the sake of pleasure was a good thing for us and for our marriage, so we each get to save for toys/tools at a certain rate.  Joint use items, household, furniture, life items like clothes, etc, is not part of this deal, this is each's personal goodie account, so a hobby tool counts, but a lawn mower or appliance is a household tool and doesn't count.  We don't use credit cards for these kinds of purchases.  The deal lets us get whatever we want without having to seek the other's permission.  Expensive tools mean waiting longer.  I had saved back up just barely enough when the bandsaw went on sale.  I make a nice comfortable salary as an electrical engineer so I have no problem affording several blades - that's not the issue.  Additional blades have to wait until next month as per our agreement, not as per whether I can afford them.  As long as I keep the agreement, I can buy anything I want... eventually.  She gets the same deal.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Seems like you need to think outside your own little box in this case...
What does this teenage daughter earn to contribute for her own hobbies?  (like say she needs a fine bandsaw blade for crafts)

Matt