Blew budget on new bandsaw - enough left over for only one blade, which one?
Finally!  I bought a bandsaw.  A Laguna 1412.   I waffled back and forth between it and a smaller cheaper saw, and finally decided that buyer's remorse only lasted until I used it, while a smaller saw was forever.

So, since I have now blown my tool budget for at least a year, I probably can only buy one, or maybe two blades, because SWMBO.

I do plan on resawing, but not right away, so my second blade will be a 3/4" blade.  I can put that off a few months.

The first blade choice is my conundrum.  Between a 3/8" blade or a 1/4" blade, which one is a better choice?

(my teenage daughter already wants to be using it for crafts)

Thought I'd see what you guys who have bandsaws say.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
I've got a Carter on mine. I like it. I would buy a 1/2" and a 3/8" unless you are planning on making some pretty scrolly cuts.

carl
As soon as you say crafts, I'm thinking smaller parts and smaller cuts.
There is a considerably difference between the smallest radius cut of a 3/8" blade (1.5") and that of a 1/4" blade (.625").  Of course a 1.5" radius cut will be much easier to cut with the 1/4" than the 3/8" at its limit.  Either blade shut cut fine in material up to 4/4.

I mixed fractional and decimal just to make my answer more confusing.

radius chart
I know several woodworkers who use a 3/8" blade for both curves, and they also resaw with it. Now they are all using a 14" Delta clone, and all have either a hand held jigsaw, or a scroll saw for really tight cutting, but for really tight cuts your 1/4" choice won't get it done very well. Given the parameters you have supplied, I'd only suggest the 3/8". Possibly given more thoughts on what you planned to do, that might change.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You can do a lot with a 3/8", 4 tpi blade.  

John
I would skip the 1/4" blade, assuming your daughter's/wife's relationship is like most mother daughter relationships.  Once your daughter cannot cut a tight enough radius, just casually mention that "we need to pick up a 1/4" bandsaw blade some day."  Just let it go at that.  You should have the third blade soon.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Quote: Once your daughter cannot cut a tight enough radius, just casually mention that "we need to pick up a 1/4" bandsaw blade some day."

Best idea yet.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
I have the similar Rikon and have been very happy with it. The Highland Hardware Woodslicer and Woodturner blades have worked very well on it.

As others have said, start with the 3/8" blade.

Be sure that you understand how to set up the guides (upper and lower) and remember to check the tuning every time you change a blade (even if they are both the same "size").

You do not want the guides tying to change the set on your blades or the blades trying to cut the guides.

If your daughter is trying to do finer craft stuff (like BS boxes) on the BS, you should take a look at the Carter guides for the fine (<1/4") blades. Seeing some of the Carter demos at the wood working/turning shows has been impressive.

If your daughter really wants to do stuff better suited to scrolling, it will be easier to invest in a used scroll saw than to live with having to swap the guides in and out between users on the BS. OR Invest in a decent bench for her and buy her a fret saw.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
If I could only have one blade it would be a 3/8" moderately coarse blade.
-Marc

I always use a 1" blade
fred@kingstonco.com