Miter Box Workstation?
Thinking about building a dedicated miter box workstation for my old Millers Falls #74 2.5 tired of dragging it out and taking up bench space.....

Thinking about a scaled down version of a chop saw station....

Must be several others that have done similar, but when I searched nothing but the machine versions came up....

Andy
Mos Maiorum
I don't use a miter box anymore after using several in the past.  I have had the Langdon's and a very nice stanley 358.  The more comfortable I got with hand saws, it became easier and faster for me to just scribe a knifewall and cut in the face vise, or a bench hook.

So I sold mine.

But what you're talking about would work fine. Build it with some kind of fence and rails to support long pieces... That was always one of the the problems with using mine.
I'll look forward to seeing your setup
Smile.   I'm still dragging my box out fairly often.
Chris
I just use a B&D workmate; screwed the box down to a piece of plywood, screwed a short length of a 2x4 to the center of the plywood, and clamp the 2x4 in the workmate.  Works well, I leave it set up in the shop and it travels well for trim work in the house. 

I have 4 of the original workmates, $15 garage sale items, and if I find another I'll buy it!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Still like using the old miter box, for me it reduces shooting board time ;-)

Have also used a workmate, does work real well in the house, but it just seems in the way in the shop and as suggested, I wanted to add support for long items and set up an adjustable cutoff stop,

My box saw is 33" (28" blade) which requires < 18" of back space, and I plan on angleing the supports from wall to table/wings so there will be more clearance underneath.....

Have not worked out a design yet, but have some specific features in mind......

Andy

Mos Maiorum
For me, the biggest advantage of the miter box is it's portability. I like the idea of using the workmate but I don't need that in my shop. I'll be interested in where this ends up.

thanks!
I hear ya, I thought about what you want to do a few years ago, its the back space that is an issue for me; and the Workmate does seem to "travel" around the shop depending on what I'm working on, so I guess that works for me.  I have a wall separating my shop from the other part of the basement, and I actually thought of cutting out some of the wall to give me the backspace I needed, but decided not to.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
seems to me the back space you need would be near equal to the space required behind a tailed miter saw station. You may want to consider additional clamping capability along both sides using t-track or slotted dados.
It's well underway, have the platform in place, with the box mounted, no fence.

I'm still trying to figure out how to combine an adjustable stop & hold down system.

Have some good T track and have T track on the fence of one of my power miter saws, but it only functions as a stop mounted on top of the fence,...

Thinking about putting it in the wing platforms....

Will work on some pictures.

-- mos maiorum
My shop is small and space is at a premium. I have a number of mitre boxes and they are all mounted on 3/4" ply with a lip on the front. I just plop it on the bench with the lip registered on the front and a pair of holdfasts keeps it in place. When I'm done it goes back on the shelf. I just can't dedicate the space needed for a 33" saw.