Back porch post
Making my back porch bigger, the problem is three post are cemented into the ground should I remove entirely or can I cut them off below the ground and leave the remaining part of post in ? ( Post are treated lumber )
Are they load bearing?

Are they load bearing?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Yes and I am replacing the roof as well
(10-04-2016, 03:09 PM)Dennis  Puskar Wrote: Yes and I am replacing the roof as well

Silly question but I am not sure what you are asking.... do you plan to re-use the concrete and wood pad that is left to support a load bearing post, or are you making new footings for the porch posts?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral,
no, new footings

No I am not re using the concrete and wood pad
I am installing new footings for the porch post.

This should clear up the confusion.
(10-04-2016, 03:26 PM)Dennis  Puskar Wrote: Admiral,
no new footings

I am also confused now. If you have an existing roofed porch with load-bearing posts supporting the edge of the roof (standard design), then you cannot possibly expand it without new footings. Presumably the original design was engineered to spec and the allowable cantilever is basically at its limit, meaning you can't extend it even if you want to.

Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding what you're trying to do, please talk to an engineer or a contractor. You can't eliminate an in-use load-bearing support without causing a collapse of the structure above. If you want to expand it, then you will need properly engineered new footers and posts. If you are doing this (I know you said you weren't, but you don't really have a choice), then you would first build out the new structure properly before removing the old posts. In this case (if the posts are no longer needed), then yes, you can cut them off below grade just fine.
I am putting in new footings.

Thanks everybody for your input.
answering the question you asked, as long as they aren't in the way of the new construction you can leave the cemented part in the ground.
Great news Crokett thanks for your input.
(10-04-2016, 10:54 PM)crokett™ Wrote: answering the question you asked, as long as they aren't in the way of the new construction you can leave the cemented part in the ground.

What he said.

They will not cause issues unless in the way of the new construction or stick up above the finished grade.
However, if you are thinking about anything in the future at all; now would be the time to get them out while digging up the ground for the new footings. Saves the hassle of going back in there with a newer porch in the way.

If not, we have left partial building foundations in the ground and buried it.