Let's Talk Tool Rolls...
Ok, little while back I joined the vortex and now have enough tools that I need something to safely store them in. Also, I recently joined a turners club and need something to transport my tools. I bought a Woodcraft tool roll and like it except I don't like the way the straps need to be re-threaded every time you open/close it. I see Lee Valley and Penn State have offerings, but, before buying another roll was wondering if others have experience with these products or can suggest others or even tool roll alternatives.

Thanks,

Mike
If your only real concern is the rethreading with the woodcraft one - replace the connectors with the quick release kind

Like these

https://www.amazon.com/KLOUD-City-plasti...ing+buckle

obviously get the ones for the size webbing 

problem solved.
I have the Lee Valley tool roll.  It's nice.  I like the flap that protects the business end of the tool.  I don't use mine for turning tools, though.  I use mine for larger rasps.  The suggestion to purchase the quick release clips is a great one.  It'll save you some cash.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-05-2016, 08:09 AM)Wipedout Wrote: If your only real concern is the rethreading with the woodcraft one - replace the connectors with the quick release kind

Like these

https://www.amazon.com/KLOUD-City-plasti...ing+buckle

obviously get the ones for the size webbing 

problem solved.

Thanks for the suggestion - would never have thought to look for these.

(10-05-2016, 09:23 AM)AHill Wrote: I have the Lee Valley tool roll.  It's nice.  I like the flap that protects the business end of the tool.  I don't use mine for turning tools, though.  I use mine for larger rasps.  The suggestion to purchase the quick release clips is a great one.  It'll save you some cash.

I need more than one tool roll so may get one of these next time they have free shipping.

Mike
I use a 24" DeWalt tool bag when I go to hands on turning.  The only thing I do is tape the ends.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have the Woodcraft on and blew out the stitches. Unfortunately it doesn't seem designed to hold all the tools for which there are sleeves. I have another, larger one I bought at the Pittsburgh symposium that I use now. Some of the turning specialty shops carry better tool rolls. I suggest looking at those.
I use a big plastic tub, about 16 wide by 20 long by 12 inch high, for turning tools, and an old milk crate for chucks and other things. I just have too much to carry around....

robo hippy
Robo Hippy brought up something I seen someone use and that was a Roll around luggage carrier box like thing and it was really nice but rough on the wheels of going over big rocks.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Talk to a local sewing type person and have one made the way you want it.

The DW (Impkitti) makes one every year as one of the club prizes
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
I use a 5 gal bucket with a plywood insert with holes. I have a piece of foam in the bottom to keep the tools from banging during transport. Tools always at hand when turning away from the shop. Unrolling a tool roll and laying it on the floor and the constant bending never appealed to me. Rarely do you have a table  or anything more than a folding chair if you are lucky.

Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."