roof
Hi all,
I am trying to decide between 2 roofers.  They both seem OK to me.  One uses certainteed shingles, the other uses GAF shingles (as do most roofers).  Any opinions as to which shingle  is better.  Any differences between ridge vents?  There was a video I saw a while back that claimed one ventillated bettter than another.

Thanks,
Mark
go with the one that has the longest shingle warranty 

If they are the same flip a coin
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Also make sure the person use the roll ridge vent and not the short pieces. They pop up after a while
John T.
I've never really dealt with roofing contractors before.  Is it standard practice that they are brand specific?  I would have thought that a contractor would use whatever brand you wanted and just price adjust accordingly.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I researched the options and decided on Lomanco OR-4 ridge vents when I had my roof done. The OR-4 is 4-foot lengths, but it also comes in rolls. Watch the videos in the link below.

http://www.lomanco.com/vents/ridge-vents
Not exactly on-point but when I had my roof installed I bought a 24 bottle count of water and a bag of ice and left it in the cooler for them.  They were on the job for two days and I had to buy a second 24 count package of water as they had almost finished all on the first day.

It does not guarantee a better job, but they seemed to really appreciate it and I think it is a good idea.   I would do it again.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I went with ShingleVent II for my ridge vent.  it comes in 4' sections and none of it has popped up yet, but like anything proper installation is the key.

get references if you haven't already, call the people and drive by their house and look at their roofs.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(10-05-2016, 02:04 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've never really dealt with roofing contractors before.  Is it standard practice that they are brand specific?  I would have thought that a contractor would use whatever brand you wanted and just price adjust accordingly.

Just went through all this, I feel mdickmann's pain ;-)

Yes, they are generally brand specific.  Tamko seems to have the best warranty and best reputation for dealing with warranty claims.

Try to find a brand-certified installer.  Check references, ask them for other references, go look at jobs they have completed.  Pick your shingle color and look at it on an actual roof of a similarly colored house.

Be wary of those who work "too fast".  My roofer took 9 days to do a 23 square roof, call it 200 man-hours (two person crew).  A larger crew might be able to get it done in a week, less than that likely means they are cutting corners.
I like the idea of providing water and ice for the workers. I try to do that, but most workers bring plenty.

My daughter had her roof done. (2000sqft of plan view with 8/12 pitch.) 2 days. The guys knew what they were doing. Speed is not a problem.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
Either one will be fine. Manufacturers all have top tier contractors. You can check GAF and Certiateed's website to see if those two in that group. While warranties don't mean much both offer a system type warranty if you use thief underlayment and accessories such as ridge vent. You should ask if either is a member of the NRCA. You can check their website for consumer info. Always pre qualify the contractors. If both seem even then ask for insurance info. Time in business under the same name and maybe even what if any community outreach they do.