Best Toilet Bowl Cleaner
(10-05-2016, 02:01 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Does public sewage vs home septic play a part in the equation?  I have a septic system and would be leery of too many strong chemicals going into the tank.  Public sewage....not so much.

yes.  Anytime you have a septic system you should be aware of what you're sending down the drain.  Kill off the beasties in tank and you're going to have problems, sooner or later.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

good question - but no. Thanks!

The issue is that while my family is good at getting the rest of the toilet clean, they never get under the rim very well even though I've mentioned it many times. Now there's build-up.
I'm in the Cincinnati area and I think my water is kinda hard and I do not have a softener, so what I'm seeing could be (dark/stained) mineral build-up and/or ... stuff.
My idea is to get the under-rim clean myself and then "encourage" the rest to keep it that way.
More than likely this will just be a annual chore for me.
Powdered citric acid and scalding hot water ... worked wonders on submarines and warships!
what's scalding hot water do to a porcelain toilet?  (no idea I've never tried)

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

When we had hard water, the little holes under the rim would gunk up. Only(best/fastest) solution was making a wire hanger hook and physically reaming out the holes. Did not take long or a lot of effort, but sure cleared the gunk.

For the bowl, I use one of the wands with disposable pads and elbow grease.
Good point. Navy vessels have metal toilets, don't they?
Ray
Maybe used to, but ours were vitreous china.  The citric acid was strong enough to clean and for the tanks, but wasn't dangerous to handle.  My sailors always told me the hot water worked much better and faster than using regular bowl temperature water.
We used to use Bug Juice (kool aid) packets to clean lots of stuff on board ship. Sailors have been using it for years.

Al
Some people are like a Slinky. Not really good for anything but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy. Blessed are the peacemakers.