blade angle for figured walnut?
Adnick,
Not if you have a small clearance angle on the underside of the C/B front edge.
I use 1 1/2 degrees.

David
(10-11-2016, 10:22 AM)overland Wrote: One other thing: I have a devil of a time getting a Stanley chip breaker close to the edge. It's so fiddly. Whenever I tighten the screw that holds it, the chip breaker flexes--or simply slides--and ruins the adjustment. With my LN plane--different kind of chip breaker--I have no such problem.

Vintage breakers are often deformed from either age or improper use; they can be successfully smithed back into shape, I've done it a number of times, but the process is hard to describe.  It depends on the individual breaker and just how it is out of whack, in the sense that it does not "spring" downwards at its leading edge when tightened, but springs (creeps?) up and down the iron. But once you modify the spring on one, you must then again first square the mating edge to the side of the breaker, then properly file or grind (I use a Tormek) the mating edge at the right angle.  It is also possible that the "curl" at the leading edge has been filed down too much in the past, that can cause creep too.  Finally, some are so far gone its better to seek out a replacement, vintage or otherwise.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
David:

That's a very good fix, thanks for sharing....

Regards,
Andy
mos maiorum
It's great when one of the pros talks to us here, and David does more than most... Thanks David!
Skip