The difference between wood and meat cutting
Where your fingers are. Dhamit! Ouch!

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
Uh oh!  Hope you are OK.  Since I had a stent installed after a heart attack a few weeks ago, I am very aware that any cuts will bleed like crazy.  I have to be on a blood thinner for a year, so the heart can assimilate the stent without forming a clot.  I bruise easily as well.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Foggy, hope it's not a life changer. Sharp blade cuts fast, hardly matters what type of machine it's on.

Allan, good to hear you are still on the green side, sorry to hear of your event. Yeah, no big cuts for you.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Just barely bumped the bandsaw blade while it was running. A couple stitches in the end of a finger, Healing nicely. A lesson about being more careful.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
That's weird, I had a close call on the bandsaw too. Cutting the corners off a square to make a bowl blank and the piece flipped around. Two fingers were headed to the blade. Fortunately, I caught it in time, but it was a close call!
VH07V  
Nearly lost the use of an index finger while cleaning a butcher's bandsaw. Used for boneless cuts and had a band knife on it, no teeth. Bumped the blade with my finger, it wasn't running, cut clear to the bone. Almost took a tendon transplant doctor said.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
(10-07-2016, 06:51 PM)Foggy Wrote: Where your fingers are. Dhamit! Ouch!

Second joint of right ring finger.  Across the joint at ~45, no tendon.  Flight surgeon applied stitches, since he was on duty that weekend.  "Band saw," I told him, as he filled out the report. 

"I do woodworking, how in Hades did you do the back of your hand?" 

"You turn off the saw, then start brushing the dust away."
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
As a teenager, I worked in a grocery store. One of the guys in the meat department sliced off the end of his finger on the bandsaw, and the store manager asked me to drive him to the hospital.

I was about to leave the parking lot when another meat department worker came running out with something wrapped in a towel and said "Wait! We found the rest of his finger!" 

My appetite for meat diminished for a week.
Bill Schneider
I always keep one or two of these by the bandsaw, so that my hands don't need to get close to the blade, the smaller, curved, and hard to hold the part, the better. Sometimes you need to add a few scraps of wood as fillers, to make sure the party doesn't move around. Always better than hoping yer mitts don't get close to the blade.

[Image: 41A0PQ60NDL._SX300_.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Glad it is relatively minor ... sorry it happened at all.

I spent 10 years cutting meat.  Most of the time it was for human consumption.  A couple of times ... well, it hurt !

Trust you heal well.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe