Bowl gouge
Im looking to get a fingernail grind bowl gouge. My question is what size should I get to start with. I have a 2 bowl gouges with the standard grind but I want to add some fingernail grid to my arsenal.
Spence

The 3/8 fingernail gouge is the all around tool.  I have a Sorby one now and hope to get a D-Way later or a few others as well.

However, you can not go wrong with the Thompson tools either.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Agree with Arlin about 3/8" being the best compromise for most work.  I personally like Thompson Lathe Tools.  I don't have any other tool that holds its edge as long as Thompson's.  You will need to either make your own handle or purchase a handle separately.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Personally I would go with a 1/2"  bowl gouge. It's what I use 99% of the time. While I agree that Thompson tools are the best money can buy I would learn to sharpen that grind on cheaper steel. Benjamins Best gouges will do a decent job for you until you figure it out. After, invest in quality.
Steve K

It probably depends on how big of things you are turning. 3/8 inch is fine for a mini lathe, but for me and big bowls, I would use it only for finish cuts. 1/2 inch is a bit better for being all purpose for both roughing and fine finish cuts. I do prefer the 5/8 ones for most of my roughing, well, when I am not using my scrapers. The bigger ones just feel more comfortable in my hands. 

robo hippy
Thanks 1/2" is what I will start with. I'm going to get a Thompson one. I have a wolverine sharpening jig so i don't think I will have problems sharpening it.
(10-07-2016, 07:57 PM)Spence30 Wrote: Im looking to get a fingernail grind bowl gouge. My question is what size should I get to start with. I have a 2 bowl gouges with the standard grind but I want to add some fingernail grid to my arsenal.

What's "the standard grind?"  http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml  Generally speaking, longer the bevel in the area used for cutting, the lower pitch and clearance angles you may use.  Diameter doesn't really make a difference unless you're speaking of restricted rim diameters.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
There is some confusion here I think. The  so called "fingernail grind" dates back to a gouge first popularized by Peter Childs in the 70's.It's my understanding having taken a short class with David Ellsworth that the gouge blank was a regular circle flute. When the "irish grind" came into view, the flute was parabolic and the "wings" were ground back farther than the fingernail grind. I find the fingernail easy to sharpen, and fast so you can get back to turning quickly. As good as I've gotten with grinding the "irish grind" it still requires me to use a jig to get a consistant edge.
You can find vendors selling bowl gouges with figernail grind on them or put that grind on yourself with a quick trip to belt sander or bench grinder.

Thought Peter Childs help design superflute gouges for Henry Taylor tools, his son sells tools and pretty nice web site. Scroll down to pictures of straight, finger nail, and side ground tools.

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/goug.htm

Doug Thompson sharpening video. If have the wolverine jig with optional Vari-grind jig makes life easier.
http://thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening/

There are a lot of good viedos on you-tube demonstrating sharpening turning tools.

The basic Wolverine Sharpening Jig w/otional Vari-grind jig will help you obtain repeatability at the grinder if not confident free hand sharpening.

https://oneway.ca/pdf/GJ%20Instructions%...202010.pdf
Bill
(10-07-2016, 10:59 PM)robo hippy Wrote: It probably depends on how big of things you are turning. 3/8 inch is fine for a mini lathe, but for me and big bowls, I would use it only for finish cuts. 1/2 inch is a bit better for being all purpose for both roughing and fine finish cuts. I do prefer the 5/8 ones for most of my roughing, well, when I am not using my scrapers. The bigger ones just feel more comfortable in my hands. 

robo hippy

Robo

He has bowl gouges he was just asking for a spindle gouge.  Like you say I do 80% of all my turning with a 5/8 Thompson bowl gouge.  Then the 3/8 for not only spindle work but for beads and then a 1/16 parting tool
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.