I am an person...please help
Nice looking desk. I love cherry had a similar experience, table lamp on and an end table, sorry to say, just take it as a learning curve with Cherry. And get over it, dont beat yourself up over it. Wood is natural, and not perfect in nature!!! BUT us wood workers what to it to be and try and change its natural caralisticts for are looks and needs!!
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

If I really, and I mean really, wanted it evened out, the answer is most likely obvious: a very good smoothing plane and a few minutes of work.

That is a beautiful desk.

Regards,
Andy
Mos Maiorum

-- mos maiorum
I also would say you're not an person.
Don't worry about it one bit. Ever.
Time will solve this one.
In case that wasn't clear: Do Nothing!
Beautiful desk! I worked on a commercial job where the doors were cherry. In one large room there were two stacks of doors, one in front of a window. The doors were not in a perfectly even stack, several doors had edges about 3' showing .When I went to mortise the doors for hinges I noticed the stripe effect where the doors laid unevenly.
I got our wood finisher to look at the doors. He told me to stand the doors up against the wall in direct sunlight for one day or more. He told me that the darkening effect would begin that day and may take a year before no difference in tone could be seen. He could have blended it in but he said the natural way gives best results.
I did notice the doors were darkening after only a few weeks, never had a chance to go back and  check after a year or so.
mike
Dan, you are not alone.    After reading your post,  I checked the top of a cherry cabinet I made 12 years ago which has aged beautifully and has things placed on top.   Sure enough, same thing has happened.  Misery loves company
Wink   Thanks for posting.

Dave
I would make the cover with a hole in it.  A piece of felt wouldn't look out of place, even though the hole would

And, I agree with everyone, very nice desk