The heartless carpenter
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fb4j51Mor20" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I like the part with the 12" or larger spinning blade on the end of the arm. No way to know where the arm is going next, which I suppose is why those areas are off-limits to people.

But then you see the guy sitting next to the arm with the router bit, doing the carving. No way would I sit within the work envelope of an arm spinning a bit.
(10-09-2016, 10:23 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I like the part with the 12" or larger spinning blade on the end of the arm.  No way to know where the arm is going next, which I suppose is why those areas are off-limits to people.

But then you see the guy sitting next to the arm with the router bit, doing the carving.  No way would I sit within the work envelope of an arm spinning a bit.

The little hairs at the back of my neck were at full attention watching that. Last night on 60 Minutes they were talking about AI (Artificial intelligence) or the process where computers bring machines to life with human like responses. They mentioned Bill Gates and Elon Musk were both thrilled, and yet scared of it. Machines smarter than their Human controllers could end poorly. Seems a lot of movies have already gone there.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Maybe it has saw stop.
Uhoh

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
That nothing new. 

You should have seen the robotic arms doing the painting at the Ford ranger plant here in St Paul, 20 years ago. 

Pick and place machines in circuit industry are pretty fascinating to watch. 

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-09-2016, 10:23 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I like the part with the 12" or larger spinning blade on the end of the arm.  No way to know where the arm is going next, which I suppose is why those areas are off-limits to people.

But then you see the guy sitting next to the arm with the router bit, doing the carving.  No way would I sit within the work envelope of an arm spinning a bit.

The man has the programing pendant in his hand.  Once the unit is programed, it will need to be in a cage, and the cage will need kill switches on the gates.  A lock-out/tag-out system will also need used to enter the cage.

Personally I do not believe our current economic model will be sustainable much longer with the massive automation coming on board.  However, I do not know what economic model will work.  I have looked around the globe and I can tell you a few that definitely will not work.

In the meantime, I will continue woodworking as a hobby.  It relaxes me after I spent the whole day helping to automate production.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
That's funny, my father had his sons doing that and faster if I remember...back then we worked for food
(10-11-2016, 07:49 AM)edmorini Wrote: That's funny, my father had his sons doing that and faster if I remember...back then we worked for food

Yea I know it nothing new but I always like watch that stuff and thought other might also. My mistake.

Could your father and sons work 24-7 ?
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I enjoyed it also and didn't mean to critize the posting.  I just looked at it and saw all the tech involved and thought that it was representative of whats happening in the labor market today. But you kinow I have only 2 post here and I can assure you there will definitely be no more

Ed
To ruffcutt and Ed, neither of you made a mistake!

I enjoyed the video; technology..."what is this world coming to?"

Ed, I loved your comment "worked for food", this son also worked for food, and may have been over paid.

BTW, Ed, welcome to the forum and stick around, it has certainly been a blessing to my work.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood