Conversion of built-in house vac to shop vac?
I was in the process of removing an older still working built-in house vacuum.  I was wondering if anyone has ever converted one to use as a wall-hung shop vac.  I already have a dust collector, and a Festool vac.  This would be in addition to these.  Any thoughts or comments welcomed.
There's no reason it won't work, but it may be limited in capacity compared to a shop vac. The one I've had always had to have paper bags, and they weren't bankrupt expensive but still somewhat costly.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The one I have, a Hoover, works very well but I doubt it would be good as a shop vac. The container is too small I think, maybe 2-2.5 gallons, but no bags required.
Doing it right cost less than doing it over
I converted my whole house vacuum to a whole shop vacuum. The house vacuum I have is a mini cyclone and vents the fine dust directly outside. The bin is probably 3-4 gallons. At first I planned to make a larger collection bin but it packs the waste so tight I haven't fount it necessary. I can say the one I have is crazy powerful. I have a festool vac and the whole house vac has way more suction.
Like mentioned the bin is small and they are very powerful. Great for a whole shop vac but has to be emptied often. Might look into some sort of speed control.
Vacuums are rated in "inches of lift" and "cfm" of air moved.  

The old Kirby's were a low lift/high volume design and most central vacs are towards the other end.

It will make a good shop vac if you're needing a lot of suction to pick up stuff, but if you want to use it as a dust collector on a chop saw you may be disappointed.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I did it with a Dust Deputy cyclone inline, I think I have shaken out the paper bag a couple of times over the last 10 years. Found about a 25 foot pool hose to use with it. Works great.  Thought about someday plumbing to various corners of the shop so I didn't have to have one long hose but this has worked great so far. Really nice not having that shop vac to drag around, opens up a little more floor space.