I'm the worst...pics
One thing I've learned is to use a razor blade as a scraper (you can actually roll the edge with the hard shank of a good screwdriver) to reduce any sanding marks. I do this after I've applied the oil and then discover a problem.
Thanks again, guys. Really appreciate the votes of confidence.

Fwiw, I have finally broken out my Earlex 5500 HVLP sprayer and put down a few coats of General Finishes High Performance on this table and a couple of other projects I have in the shop. Holy moly...the difference this thing makes is amazing. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but the ability to lay down a consistent coat of finish that levels out, dries fast, and looks great once it's done is night and day vs brushing on anything I have used in the past.

Will post a few f/u pics once the finish is cured and rubbed out. Thanks again.
Remember, in science class we stained specimens before looking at them with a microscope. Stain has that quality. It can bring out contrasts in the workpiece that are difficult to see with the naked eye.
It sounds like you wanted an uninterrupted, single color, so that the top looked like one big uniform piece. If I were doing that for a client, a restaurant for example, and that was their expectation, I'd be tempted to do a glazed or toned finish. There are good reasons not to do that on a restaurant dining surface, but if you want a uniform "walnut" color, a glaze (or toner) can do that for you.
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Here it is after I sprayed on 4 coats of General Finishes High Performance in Satin with the Earlex 5500. I and am currently letting it cure before rubbing it out.

Still not completely happy with how the color took, but the top coat is the best I've ever put down by a mile.

I put down several coats on a bench I made with cypress at the same time and the improvement over my rubbed/brushed on finishes is dramatic.
Man, that looks great.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I'd love to see the final pics.  The ones from your 10/25 post aren't displaying for me.

I wouldn't have chosen a knot board for such a piece, but even without the final finish I think it looks great!

I've always felt that woodworking and wood finishing are two separate arts that have little in common, other than the wood itself.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
Check back...I think photobucket is down for maintanence.

The 4 boards used for this table were actually cut offs of 12' cypress boards I used for a dining table and bench, so the knot board had to be used...tried to position it so it would be trimmed off when I cut the circle, but it was right in the way of the cut, so I just decided to feature it.
Oh my - I love that!  It's the perfect piece for that spot, with a perfect finish, and now that I see it in place - I think the table would be somehow less without the knot (or without the color variations - they coordinate perfectly with your stairs).
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.