The Dragon Cabinet - finished with pics
I know i don't post here too often, but those who remember my work will recall that i mostly build traditional American furniture.

I have been wanting to make more modern pieces. I am also always looking to expand my skills.
About a year ago, i picked up a Laguna CNC.  It's a nice unit with capabilities far beyond this user.  One day i stuck a big piece of 8/4 Padauk in the machine and i let it cut the panel you see below. The process took 18 hours.   I had no intention of making something from the result, but i thought it was just too cool looking to discard.  So it sat in my shop for about 9 months. 

[Image: 38B20C62-F17C-4690-B414-09F117A5B826_zpsgthw3pq0.jpg]

I then decided i wanted to frame the panel.  Again, i wanted to use the CNC.  I wanted to do rails and stiles that i could not easily do without the use of the CNC.  Sure they CAN be done using templates and a handheld router, but the degree of difficulty is quite high IMO.    The process of creating these was the only difficult part of the build for me.  I liked the contrast of Wenge with the Padauk.  The rails are proud of the stiles by about 1/4 inch and taper down to the stiles with a rounded edge at the joint.  A bridle joint goes theough the rails and is obviously visible on the ends.  This then sat in the shop for a couple of months.

[Image: 805C6D0C-70D1-44B9-82F9-280EA735AE7F_zpsfzhkhyp8.jpg]

Finally i decided to "complete" the thing.  I build a cabinet of Wenge with a veneered hemlock-over-plywood back.  I wanted the interior to look calm as the exterior is not.

The completed cabinet:

The pins and handle are brass.  The finish on the dragon is semi gloss nitrocellulose lacquer.  The case is finished with shellac and Satin Crystalac super-premium.

[Image: 6071867D-4F9C-4A5F-B1FA-DD79D01B8B06_zps9s6dipps.jpg]

Blum self closing hinges are sued because they are concealed.

[Image: 81646E91-BC1B-438A-A226-6F7586B8BD18_zpswkhb1gfr.jpg]

A close up of the joinery and pins on the door
[Image: EA105927-8F42-4CD9-AA2E-D987B18D7A5A_zpsbqxehyuv.jpg]

The handle and its recess

[Image: 6336E40D-2280-464C-9D6D-FD8A214CE120_zpsgt7gkkog.jpg]

The side of the case.  A simple rabbeted case pinned with brass pins.
The rear panel sits in a rabbet and has a french cleat attached which holds the case on the wall.

[Image: E6DB2BC4-605A-4725-94EA-2A488A66EE81_zpsockjvnub.jpg]

[Image: 7AF3821E-B18F-4CD7-A0CA-F24788DFCF25_zpsurb2pbro.jpg]

[Image: 5960546D-8152-458F-8F76-3980F4B4D798_zpslv1zivxe.jpg]

I think the outcome is quite elegant.

I took the piece to our local Maker Faire this weekend where i asked many of the folks there what they thought should be kept in such a case.
One young woman rolled her eyes at me and replied, "The souls of your enemies, Duh!"
Just maybe...that is appropriate.

-Wayne
Oh, man...that really is nice!
Cool
Cool
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Incredible.

Just incredible.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Way cool. That padauk is perfect for dragons! Good to know and very nice to see.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Wayne,  I have to agree it is not exactly tradition American furniture, at least not as we perceive that term, but it is still pretty great.  Keep up the good work.
Freaking awesome! I love it.
+27 to what everyone else has said!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I gotta say the 18 hour wait was worth it, and you certainly did that panel justice with the cabinet.  Wow.  Very, very nice.  I like the brass pins, the door pull, and that panel is simply amazing.  It's one thing to use a CNC router. It's another thing to know how to use it.  Very well done, sir!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I think your description that it's elegant is bang on.   The design, the wood, the brass pins.  It all just goes together - beautifully. 

John
That is freaking cool!