Seeking Advise for finishing a table
I have this kitchen table which is 12 years old it and it is showing the usage
I am planning to refinish , I will be using a little darker stain or dye ,then finish with Poly or urethane.
The top is veneer, so I want to be careful in removing the current finish.

I was thinking of using Acetone to remove finish and then hand sand the top.
Apply stain or dye, then put the finish.
I am not sure to use the stripper, I am afraid that it will ruin the veneer.

Here are some pictures of the top in current condition.

Let me know your thoughts on refinishing this table.

[Image: kOGYFu.jpg]

[Image: SMDuEh.jpg]

[Image: BEJnes.jpg]

Thanks
I never did a veneer refinish, I would be real careful on the stripper, you dont want to break the adhesiveness of it. even if it works to get the stains out, usually if solid wood you need to sand sand down a bit. So, I would use a green stripper, then if stains are still there, bleach the wood to a uniform color to eliminate the stains. Then dye, then a 2lb cut Shellac seal coat, light sanding or a green Scotch brite pad buffing, then oil base stain. The dye will give you the color, the stain will give you a depth and pop the grain color and differential. Then a top coat of your choice, I like MinWax oil based wipe on Poly.
Now that is what I had done on solid wood, veneer is a whole other animal. I dont touch or work with it.Some veneers can be less then a 64th of and inch.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. RMB
The SO asked me today, "what are you going to do to day"? I said "nothing".  She said, "that's what you did yesterday"! Me, "Yes love, but I was not finished yet"!!!!!!!!
Smirk

I've never had veneer lift when stripping a finish using KleanStrip Premium stripper.  New pieces and old, never had a problem.  One benefit I've found when stripping a piece like yours, which looks to be a simple lacquer finish with the only damage being white water stains, is that the piece has a pretty uniform color afterwards.  I guess the act of scraping and wiping off the liquified finish helps unify the color. 

Anyway, I'd strip it and then neutralize the stripper with mineral spirits.  I would keep any sanding to a minimum; you can't remove dings and dents in veneer by sanding, there's just too much risk of sanding through it. 

John
I do the same as jteneyck.    I use Kleen strip premium also.  I have stripped many, many pieces of veneered old furniture and never had a bit of trouble, if the veneer is solid.  Any loose or raised sections of veneer I reglue first then strip without trouble.  Then clean with mineral spirits.  Clean with ms several times. there is nothing worse then laying on a new finish and not gotten all the stripper off.  I don't worry about dings and dents to much on the old stuff I do. If you try and make a piece look new it looks funny.  If you must sometimes the dents can be steamed out with an iron an damp cloth.  you may have to go a shade darker on the stain to cover your stains up.  Trying to sand out a stain is almost impossible especially on a veneered surface.   There is nothing wrong with minwax wipe on poly, like was suggested, it is about the easiest finish you can apply.  Sherwin Williams old style varnish is pretty good  if you are not wanting a poly.