Star Trek Wood
Skew on a bowl??? Well, some may do that, but not recommended. I would use one of the Doug Thompson fluteless gouges, or other similar type ) nose profiles, which are similar to MM's 'broad sweep' gouge. A high angled shear scrape, with a properly sharpened tool, and if you have at least half an idea on how to properly apply the cutting edge to the wood, will clean it up as good as any other tool. Looks like a piece of Ambrosia Maple which can be prone to tear out, and difficult to get clean cuts on. Also, with the shape you have, the cut should start at the large diameter and move to the ends/small diameter parts. That would help a little. 

robo hippy
Loss of original photo led me to believe that the orientation was spindle, not faceplate.  Mistook the second spindle orientation photo for a copy of the first. While a straight chisel can be used on convex surfaces, would not be my choice here. You would have to cut up high, like the old boys used to, and I'm betting nobody has a toolpost long enough to get up where it's safe.

A broad sweep gouge would do a splendid job, however.  Safer on the learn, since it curves away from the piece while the piece is curving away from it.  You don't have to cut too far above centerline with the favorable combined geometry, and skewing it to the cut would effectively lower even a low pitch angle. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...Curves.jpg  As you can see, the work can slide down the edge of broad sweep, severing fiber pretty much at 90 degrees, not pecking it out.  To get the same effect on a "bowl" gouge you'd be nearly unsupported on the rest, with everything depending on your arm.

Here's a still showing approximate gouge angles.  I say approximate, because you can see from the slick part of the flute where the shavings have run.  Have to pick up the handle a touch mentally.  You can see that those places where you're picking and pecking are being sliced here as they slide along the edge of the shiny area.  With my favorite gouge, the surface is about 220, which is a lot easier than 60 on your nose and arm.  http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/G...essive.jpg  This is leveling, and even then it's about 150.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.