No. 6 plane: What's it good for?
Just fixed up and sharpened an old Type 9 No. 6 Stanley that I picked up cheap a while back (I couldn't help myself). It cuts well. But what's a No. 6 good for? Has anyone here found it useful?
For a while, that was my go-to-size for jointing and flattening stuff that was less than case-sized but bigger than tiny box sized.

Also worked great on a shooting board, plenty of mass but not as big as a 7 or 8.

I've since retired it to the traveling tool-kit where it serves as the jointer.  Lighter weight than my 7 or 8 but still longer & wider than a 5.  Did have a 5-1/2 for a while but never really got into that one.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
It's just about my favorite plane.  With that and a smoother and block plane I can do almost any planing that needs to be done around here.
Quite useful.  For smaller jointing tasks, as others have pointed out.
As noted, a smaller jointer and shooter; also very useful in flattening panels and rough stock.  I start with a scrub, then #5, then #6 and if needed, not always needed, the #7.  It got a bad rap from Blood and Gore.

P.S.:  Because of Patrick's trashing of it on B&G, a #6 can be had for significantly less than a #7, and can do 80% of what a #7 can do.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My number six was the one that taught me just how good hand planes can be.

Because when I bought it, the PO had sharpened it correctly.

Opened my eyes.  I immediately made a shooting board.

Have never looked back.

Oh, and yes, I own a seven and eight too for larger stuff.

Big Grin
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Having a #7 and a #8 I never missed a #6. In the opposite: I found this size rather needless. Then in 2015 I was lucky enough to win a #6 in a woodworker contest. What shall I say, I just love the plane and it's size! In fact it's one of my most used planes and one that I really enjoy to use. I call myself a moron for not trying this plane sooner.

Klaus
My #6 is my shooting plane. It's the perfect size and weight.

It's also good for handing to my daughter when she wants a long plane but is too tired to push the #7 around.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Admiral sold me a #7, and it's a pleasure to use.  I am joining (shooting in pairs) some plates for instruments, and it's a little awkward. I am probably going to get the #6 off the shelf and try shooting the plates with it.  I remember doing this before with a #3 (probably), and the #7 made things a lot easier.  Although I didn't have a special shooting board on the previous efforts, just built it this week.
It sounds like folks find a No. 6 useful  for:

a. shooting (presumably with a straight iron). But I suppose the sides have to be pretty square for this.
b. flattening and jointing on small-scale projects (with a slightly cambered iron?)
c. travel kits

Just fooling around with mine, making some shavings, this sounds about right.