No. 6 plane: What's it good for?
In this area on California's North Coast, settled by Europeans starting in the early 19th century and with growth in the early 20th (and more later, but that's not as relevant), I find 6s far more often than 5-1/2s (in fact, I'm over my normal limit of two planes of given size, by one, on 6s).  My first one came from a friend as thanks for helping him clear out a basement room.  Not much, an early Craftsman with the swoopy logo, made by Sargent; but a decent plane.  I've used it mainly as a big jack plane, and always feel very Hulk-like when using it.
I broke out the 5 1/2, 6, and 7 last night to do a comparison.  The 6 and 7 didn't seem significantly different, although the 6 is a lot easier to handle.  The 5 1/2 is a lot less substantial tool.  It was really well hidden on a shelf, but it seems like it can be useful.
One of my favorite and most used planes.  My old Stanley with a beech handle doesn't look like much, but it's a great tool.  Perhaps my Woodnet handle should be StanleyNo6 instead of BaileyNo5.  
Laugh  Really handy for jointing long edges, and making spring joints for glue-ups.  Way better than a power jointer, I never could use one of those properly and sold mine.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
After a quick wire-brushing to remove any dirt/detritus from storage, I use my #6 to remove the fuzz from rough saw-milled lumber, leaving an almost smooth, but not necessarily flat surface.  This allows me to first see the grain and hopefully any defects before I mark out for cross and rip cuts.  With a slightly cambered blade, I consider it one of my 'coarse' tools, in a 'coarse, medium, fine' tool system. 

Its not everyone's favorite, but if you're not familiar, here's a link to an article:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-con...umFine.pdf
I use my six for jointing smallish stock.
I buy and sell planes locally and to be honest, I usually pass on the Sixes unless they are either real nice, real old or real cheap, preferably all three. I have a heck of a time reselling them
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-15-2016, 08:03 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: As many of you know I restore hand planes and what is available to me today, Admiral wouldn't even look at but move on. And I doubt if Ahill ever goes rust hunting.

Tom

As I said, this was my experience.  I don't go rust hunting anymore, and I haven't for several years.  Once I pretty much filled out my plane suite, I found no need to.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but my experience when I needed to go looking for vintage planes, was I found more No.4's, 5's, and 7's than 6's.  Since I'm a user and not a seller, I never really spent a lot of time hunting.

FWIW, I checked the first 5 pages of Swap-N-Sell and found 21 vintage bench planes for sale.  Not a single No. 6.  Lots of 4's, 4-1/2's, 5's, a couple of 5-1/4's, a couple of 7's, and even a No. 2, but no 6's.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I can't say enough about how useful my #6 is for flattening and joining.  I find myself always reaching for this plane whenever I am truing up wood for projects.  As mentioned, works great with a shooting board.

Scott
Its the most used plane in my shop.

What's it good for? Everything - jointing short boards, face planing, shooting, flattening panels.
(10-17-2016, 10:36 PM)AHill Wrote: FWIW, I checked the first 5 pages of Swap-N-Sell and found 21 vintage bench planes for sale.  Not a single No. 6.  

May be because everyone seems to love theirs and no one is willing to sell them. 
Big Grin
Wink
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Oh, I've sold at least 3 in the last few months; one is in process of cleaning and tuning and will be offered shortly, a pre war 6C . . . looking very nice so far. . . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis