Austin, TX Slab suppliers?
Folks,

I don't have an index of local yards / wood suppliers yet (as the shop is only just now coming back online) but the first project I'm going to tackle is a live edge desk for my office (actual work office.) Any that come recommended within a reasonable commute of Austin?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
(soon to be making sawdust again!)
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I know it is not close to Austin:

M & G Sawmill
149 High Oak Drive
Huntsville Tx, 77340

It is worth the drive.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Guy in McQueeney cuts slabs of Mesquite, Cottonwood and Pecan. He has a huge collection big and small as well as full logs sometimes. Has burls and figured pieces.

Corner of FM725 and Old San Antonio Rd.

You can't miss it for sure. Haggle the prices- I think he is high.
Awesome - thanks. Once I pick one and throw it together I'll post obligatory project pics
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I'm in Austin as well. I haven't bought any, but I have a weird addiction to surfing Craigslist for things like big slabs. I have seen several on the local CL from guys selling them out of their garages to sawmills, to bigger suppliers. As I recall, searching for "live edge" yielded the best results.
Cool - I'll give that a shot, I've been surfing for a compressor there, but hadn't thought to look there for wood also.

Cheers,
michael
You are in Austin - go to Swift River Pecans in San Marcos - real nice guys

I bought a beautiful live edge pecan slab - 34 inches wide 2 inches thick 16 feet long - kiln dried - and planed

http://www.swiftriverpecans.com/lumber-mill/
Nice! That's looks to be a winner too!

I found Berdoll just south east of town, which I'll be checking out in person at some point in the next week, but that place looks very promising also!

I really, REALLY want to get to M&G and plan to at some point, but the 6 hour round trip isn't in scope for this simple a project (for my built-in library out of walnut though starting in a year or two...
Smile)

Best,
Michael
Go to Swift River, Berdoll's prices are 2 or 3 times more than Swift River.
Wondering if you ever found a supplier you like. I am in the market myself and struggling to find much that is relatively close, relatively reasonably priced, and relatively dry and ready to work. You come up with anything?