For sale: dividers, adjustable bevel, push drill
Prices below do not include postage; send me a private message with your interests and your ZIP code for a shipping quote.

Dividers,  Goodell-Pratt, $15; PS&W, $7 - SOLD, $20 for the pair

[Image: Dividers%20GP%20and%20PSW_zpsagzdutmb.jpg]
Two pairs of nominal 8" (from pivot to point) dividers.

On the left, a pair of Goodell-Pratt (G-P) machinist’s dividers.  These have a plain (not quick-adjusting) nut, but adjust very quickly and precisely.  $15, plus shipping.

On the right, a pair of Peck Stow and Wilcox dividers (PS&W - best known among woodworkers for their chisels).  Wing dividers like this are adjusted by tightening the thumb screw on the “wing,” the arc running from one leg to the other.  Originally, these had a fine adjustment: the thumbscrew on the left pushed against a flat spring on the inside of the left arm, allowing fine adjustment.  That spring’s broken off now.  Fine adjustment is by getting the thumbscrew snug but not tight, then tapping one leg on the bench gently, until you’ve got your adjustment.  Sounds awkward, but it’s not bad.  $7, plus shipping; and, if the buyer wants to make his/her own replacement fine adjustment spring, I’ll throw in a chunk of saw plate the right thickness.

Stanley No. 25 adjustable bevel, $20 (premium price for a premium tool):

The Stanley 25 doesn’t get much respect anymore; I think the reason for that can be found in Stanley’s decision to cheapen its original design.  On almost all the Stanley 25s you can find in the wild (and on eBay), the clamping bolt fits into the handle with a six-sided carriage bolt.  This allows some adjustment of the placement of the tightening lever, but it often still winds up sticking out past the body of the tool, and getting in the way.  Early models - and this is one - have an arrangement with a flat-sided clamping bolt and a nut, allowing infinite adjustment, as shown here:

[Image: Stanley%2025%20bevel%20front_zpstvgkxwxc.jpg]

[Image: Stanley%2025%20bevel%20back_zps8htvccsf.jpg]
With this, you can adjust the clamping bolt so that the lever stays within the width of the tool when tight, so that it does not run into the work.  It will then hold its setting very nicely, and you can adjust the nut seasonally, if the wood swells in summer humidity or shrinks in the winter (or vice versa if you live in my kind of climate).  If your woodworking includes remodeling on your house, this is a handy tool, because you can take off an angle from existing trim to which you’re trying to fit a new piece by holding the bevel in place and using one finger to tighten the lever: great when you’ve got just one hand free because the other is hanging onto the ladder.

The wood-and-metal construction means that the blade movement along the slot is not ball-bearing smooth; but I've never found that an issue with my own No. 25s.

You'll find my asking price is higher than you can find on eBay and such places; but it's a premium tool.

Yankee push drill, with a set of eight bits, $15

[Image: Push%20drill%202_zpst4iox1av.jpg]
Push drills of this type are one of the highlights of 19th/early 20th century technology, handy around the house when installing hardware for blinds and all those other little items, as well as on furniture (particularly nice in tight spots on furniture, such as when you forget to drill holes for hinges before gluing up the cabinet).
PM
Sent on Dividers

Andy
Mos Maiorum

-- mos maiorum
Bump!  
Smile
Smile