It's here, BladeStop for the Band Saw
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NiRegdech_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
(10-14-2016, 11:59 PM)ruffcutt Wrote: <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NiRegdech_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's really interesting. I cut meat for 35 years, and in '93 partially severed my index finger.
When saw stop came out I thought the problem was solved until I realized that the flesh sensing technology used moisture to detect a finger. 
Using the color of the glove to detect a hand is brilliant.
Wow. That is a good idea. I couldn't imagine doing that job day in, day out and not having an injury.
Cool. Course Sawstop had a bandsaw version years ago before they were even close to marketing anything. They also had an up cut saw with the tech. They had videos on YouTube many years ago. Not sure if they are still up though.

But the mechanism on this system is different dust to it being a meat cutting saw.
(10-15-2016, 02:59 AM)johndi Wrote: That's really interesting. I cut meat for 35 years, and in '93 partially severed my index finger.
When saw stop came out I thought the problem was solved until I realized that the flesh sensing technology used moisture to detect a finger. 
Using the color of the glove to detect a hand is brilliant.

I was an apprentice from 17 to 21 years old, worked part time and in the summers when in school.  I knew it would not be my career, and requested to do only knife work as I saw way too many accidents on the band saw in a production environment, so I broke down hind and fore quarters and rounds in the box, got really good with boning out veal and lamb, made chop meat and cut up literally thousands and thousands of chickens during chicken sales as my manager was too cheap to buy the parts once he saw how fast I was (this was back when they came whole in wooden crates packed in ice.) I knew three guys who would have their index fingers and thumbs if this were available back then.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-15-2016, 01:11 PM)Admiral Wrote: I was an apprentice from 17 to 21 years old, worked part time and in the summers when in school.  I knew it would not be my career, and requested to do only knife work as I saw way too many accidents on the band saw in a production environment, so I broke down hind and fore quarters and rounds in the box, got really good with boning out veal and lamb, made chop meat and cut up literally thousands and thousands of chickens during chicken sales as my manager was too cheap to buy the parts once he saw how fast I was (this was back when they came whole in wooden crates packed in ice.) I knew three guys who would have their index fingers and thumbs if this were available back then.

Amazes me how fast those guys are and how good they are but lots of practice will do that. I remember back when churches chicken would do their own processing in the stores because it was so much cheaper than having the butcher do it.
Actually, there are finer points to cutting up chicken, like cutting off the wing so as to leave the most meat and skin behind, on more valuable areas, and getting the "oyster" from the backbone to stay with the thigh and not on the back, then cutting the back such that you don't take too much off the breast. My manager would inspect the backs and wings to make sure I was doing it right.  He's dead now, but was a real PITA to work for.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-15-2016, 03:34 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Amazes me how fast those guys are and how good they are but lots of practice will do that. I remember back when churches chicken would do their own processing in the stores because it was so much cheaper than having the butcher do it.

I wonder if the technology can be retrofitted to an existing woodworking bandsaw (Grizzly, Laguna, Delta, etc.)?
(10-16-2016, 08:37 PM)alnandy Wrote: I wonder if the technology can be retrofitted to an existing woodworking bandsaw (Grizzly, Laguna, Delta, etc.)?

That was my first thought too. I wonder if the inventor is also an attorney.
Uhoh (By the way; What's an instigator?
Smile )
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
in·sti·ga·tor
ˈinstiˌɡādər/
noun
noun: instigator; plural noun: instigators

a person who brings about or initiates something.
"he was not the instigator of the incident"
synonyms: initiator, prime mover, motivator, architect, designer, planner, inventor, mastermind, originator, author, creator, agent; More
founder, pioneer, founding father;
agitator, fomenter, troublemaker, ringleader, rabble-rouser
"the instigators behind the crime wave"

Translate instigator to
Use over time for: instigator
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK