DMT Dia-Sharp 6" x 2" Bench Stone
Looking at the above with the primary use being to sharpen hand chisels. 

Am I being penny wise and pound foolish, or should I look at the say the 8" DuoSharp Bench Stone or even a larger model?

I don't want to break the bank!

Thanks,
Lewis
I would say it is fine for chisels however larger stones would be necessary with the wider plane irons if using a jig.  Not an issue if sharpening by hand.

I have a both Duo Sharp mesh and Dia Sharp plate. I much prefer the Dia Sharp. I believe they are more efficient simply because there is more grit per surface area.

Also, I've found narrow chisels (1/4 & 1/16) easily hang up in the mesh so I have to use one way motion dragging the edge toward me (which increases error for me). After using them for a few years, I am also having some doubts as to the longevity.
2x6" is okay ,I have only used the DMT stone once. I borrowed it at work ,my finish tools were on another job. I sharpened a jointer plane iron.It worked but I prefer a continous diamond plate,not spots of diamonds like the DMT.
I got a sharper edge with my General diamond stone I bought 50 years ago.
mike