Should have used a raking light
I just finished the first of four grandfather clocks I promised my children. I was very happy when it left my basement shop to go to its new home. Upon seeing it in my son's living room I became disappointed when I noticed the shoddy sanding job I did on it. The natural light in his living room revealed several sanding mistakes that went unnoticed in my shop. I could have done a better job if I had used a bright light to run over the surface to highlight where more sanding needed to be done. In the future I intend to closely look at the surface that was sanded using a bright light at various angles.
If you are somebody that uses a raking light procedure when sanding, what kind of light do you use?
I just use a clip-on light, actually a nice one with a magnetic base.  I find I have to move it around to really do a good job of seeing problems.  I am happy that led bulbs are so cheap, I would go through bulbs relatively quickly because I drop the light occasionally
Another thing you might try is a water wipe and high angle flashlight sweep.  Torn fiber will absorb more, and show dark.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
If you have any shadows in your shop you may want to increase the number of lights, especially in the area where you finish. I used to have unseen finishing problems, they magically disappeared when I added lighting.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
There may be better things, but I just use one of the clamp-on reflector lights with a BR30 bulb in it.  I'm not sure it's important exactly what light you use. I've even held boards up in the sunlight to see if there were problems.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00251...UTF8&psc=1

I use this lamp attached to bench...has two kinds of bulbs in it and long arm so you can swing it to the side and see the piece at various angles.
I don't know if this applies to you, Jim, but I had a hard time seeing scratches because of my poor close up vision.  I found if I wear safety glasses with 2X magnifiers that I can see them just fine.  I also added several 4' LED shop lights to improve the lighting in key areas, especially as relates to finishing. 

John
Of all the projects I've done in all these years, I can count on one hand the number of times I may have had a perfect finish no matter the lighting or the methods I use. I have a lot of talent but finishing is not one of them.

It is good to know though, it can be achieved by some.

Some woodworkers here astonish me.