Who is Supermax?
Having reached a point in my hobby where I've accumulated most all needed tools I haven't really paid too much attention to new tools. I've also let ally magazines lapse but FWW so I don't see many ads.

Where did they come from? Are they an offshoot of another company? Or were they always around and I just never noticed?
-Marc

My understanding (which could be completely wrong) is that several of the Performax folks left that company when Jet bought them, and started the Supermax family of sanders. That may explain the similarities between the 2 brands. If I get another DS, it will be a Supermax.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My understanding also is they are an offshoot of Performax.  Whether it is true or not I will say this.  I bought the 25-50 and it is a beast.  If you compare the 19-38 or the 25-50 side by side to the comparable Jet 16/32 or the 22/44 you can tell that the SuperMax is the better tool.  I was able to compare them at Woodcraft which is where I bought mine.    The Super Max has some added features over the Jet.  I upgraded from a Grizzly 18/36 and do not regret it at all.  If you have any specific questions about the 25-50 let me know.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Yeah, Performax turned to a Jet product, and Supermax rose from the ashes of Performax, and they have outdone themselves. I have a 19/38, and it is a real workhorse, extremely well built, and offer hope that tools can be American made, and be competitive.

An about us section from their website
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You say you have no regrets for upgrading from the Grizzly. Is that just because of the added capacity or that the machine is noticibly better?

I'm debating what my next purchase will be. I'm going back and forth between a drum sander or a HVLP swtup
-Marc

The extra capacity is nice but the Supermax is just a nicer tool.  It is quieter.  So quiet you almost don't know it is running.  The paper changes are simple and much quicker.  The Grizzly had a bunch of bushings that were suppose to be lubed every day of use.  Some were very hard to get to.  Dust collection is much better.  I have never had to adjust the conveyor tracking since I bought it almost a year ago.   I felt the motor on the Grizzly  was underdpowered to run the conveyor and belt.  It would trip the breaker quite often.  I bought it used so that might have been part of the problem.  The Supermax has a leaver to flip to change the platen from dead parallel to slightly not to run panels larger that 25" so you don't get a ridge in the center of the panel.

I bought it over the Jet/PM because of the side to side comparison.  It is better built, heavier, and the fit and finisher is nicer.  There was not much difference in price.  I saw a Jet 16/32 being demo'ed at a woodworking show one time.  I don't know what they were doing but the drum was bouncing all over the place.  That put a bad taste in my mouth for Jet/PM.  The Supermax casting look larger and the drum has been rock solid.  I have also read countless negative reports on the Jet clips that hold the paper.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I don't know about Supermax, but here's HYPERMAX.
I have the Supermax 37 X 2 and it is fantastic.. I love it.

It is my understanding that when Jet bought Performax, they were going to discontinue some of the Performax larger sanders and some employees bought the right to manufacture them. I do not verify, but that is my understanding.
That's my understanding as well Paul - Jet only wanted the performax brand and the "consumer" or small shop offering. Supermax was the brand of the commercial / larger sanders when Performax owned them and became the company name after the Jet purchase of Performax.

From their site under "about us"
Formerly made under the Performax brand name, SuperMax Tools has continued to manufacture select larger models of drum and brush sanders in the US. We have also developed innovative changes to smaller models of drum sanders, releasing the award-winning 19-38 Drum Sander in 2011, and have continued to expand our product line.

Great products from people who care about their reputation and the quality of the tool.
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
No need to speculate. I already posted The SuperMax Story earlier in the thread, read it in their words
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW