CA Finish
I'm thinking of using CA as finish for my bottle stoppers.    How do I apply it,  what density (thin or medium) of CA do I use and how many coats?   

Dave
I have read where people use combinations of thin, medium, and thick and apply many many coats of CA. Have only used medium CA both with oil (boiled linseed or mineral oil) and just plain CA and never had a problem. Depended upon whether working with closed or open grain wood as to the number of coats used. Not sure used more than three or four coats. Stop applying coats when you are satisfied finish sheen & feel afforded enough protection!

I am sensitive to the stuff so stopped using it as a finish. Wheaare gloves & work in a well vented area. You can find different procedure videos on You Tube.
Bill
Dave, I switched from CA to Seal Coat & water based poly.
It's more durable, and it's kinder to your lungs.
One coat of SC, and 3-4 of a good WBP is way better than any CA finish.
(10-16-2016, 03:50 AM)Sawdustd Wrote: I'm thinking of using CA as finish for my bottle stoppers.    How do I apply it,  what density (thin or medium) of CA do I use and how many coats?   

Dave

If you want to stick with acrylic, why not use one of the water-based ones rather than the cyanoacrylic?
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(10-16-2016, 05:43 AM)Wildwood Wrote: I have read where people use combinations of thin, medium, and thick and apply many many coats of CA.  Have only used medium CA both with oil (boiled linseed or mineral oil) and just plain CA and never had a problem.  Depended upon whether working with closed or open grain wood as to the number of coats used.  Not sure used more than three or four coats.  Stop applying coats when you are satisfied finish sheen & feel afforded enough protection!

I am sensitive to the stuff so stopped using it as a finish.  Wheaare gloves & work in a well vented area.   You can find different procedure videos on You Tube.

Herb, what is seal coat.I googled it and the only thing I could find was a product to seal asphalt so figured that wasn't what you were talking about. When in doubt ask. Thanks.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Seal Coat is a 2 lb. cut de-waxed shellac. 
http://www.rockler.com/zinsser-bullseye-sealcoat
Thanks Herb, Appreciate it.

Mel
The only advantage CA has over other finishing materials is easy & speedy in application and drying.
I am with the other folks and would prefer a poly for stoppers. If must use CA keep it simple!

Found this nice article looking for something else. I did not know many brands of CA contain acetone as a dryer. I have only used Stick Fast and it worked well as a finishing material. Now days use the cheapest can find for filling cracks only. Have never used accelerator although many people do. After reading the article see why so many pen turner using accelerator have problems with their CA finishes.

https://www.claypenblanks.com/what-is-po...g-101.html
Bill
Dave

What I have done is use both poly and ca, however, how I apply it about a year ago now is by using a Cheap Air Brush and clean it up with Acetone. 
One coat or two off of the lathe on a holder I made and no problems of it sticking to the bushings.  I do use a full face mask with the charcoal filters.  Also you do not need to thin it at all just 4 to 6 drops is all you need then run a full cap of thinner thru it.

Poly is much easier to apply tho
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-16-2016, 01:12 PM)Herb G Wrote: Seal Coat is a 2 lb. cut de-waxed shellac. 
http://www.rockler.com/zinsser-bullseye-sealcoat

Just discovered Rockler ships to Canada, not sure about liquids though but will check into it,thanks again.

Mel