Soss hinge in poplar?
I've got an interesting and attractive piece of poplar that I'm thinking of using for a jewelry box.  I know it's not typical to use poplar for this kind of project, but I'd like to anyway. 

The box will measure 10 1/2 in. x  6 1/2 in., and would be about 3 1/2 in. high -- it's not a large box. The panel in the lid would consist of 1/8 in. ply, veneered on both sides. Hence the top would not be too heavy.  I will install a brass chain to limit the extent to which the lid will open.

I'm thinking of using Soss hinges to attach the frame-and panel lid to the box body. My concern is that since poplar is relatively soft, the hinges may loosen over time.  I've used Soss hinges before in maple and cherry with no problems; but this would be the first time I'm using them in poplar.  I'd appreciate your thoughts -- especially if you've used them as I intend to.  Thanks in advance.
Should work fine. Technically, poplar is a hardwood. I've used it for years for various types of millwork. It takes paint well and also stain. It also holds fasteners very well. Good luck and be sure to post pictures.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(10-16-2016, 10:22 AM)jihhwood Wrote: The box will measure 10 1/2 in. x  6 1/2 in., and would be about 3 1/2 in. high -- it's not a large box.

Even a softer wood like Poplar in a petite size like this will service well when formed into an interlocking box. Use of a lid being just opening and closing, with a Soss hinge which is one of the better choices for low impact operation, you will do fine.
Yes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Barrel type?  With the invisible, no problem installing longer fasteners to feel good, so I assume barrel.  There, as possible, cross as many latewood rings as possible.  They're denser, and will provide all the insurance you will need.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have used barrel/Soss type hinges for all sorts of boxes.  I like them a lot.  They have been around for a really long time so that should tell you about the appeal and ability to work.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Thanks for the encouraging responses!  I can now approach the task with confidence.  Will do my best to re-learn how to post a photo or two from my Photobucket storage!  (My Photobucket account has been idle for a while.)