Very interesing planer
i almost bought one of those Hitachi units about 10 years back or so. I've heard of a fella (maybe even a Wn'er, memory isn't serving too well today) that makes mantle pieces with one of these. The surface is finish ready from this machine and has that baby butt smooth ™ surface which you get from a very well tuned handplane. Wicked cool, but in the luxury tool class for most.

I haven't seen this version before, but it's a newer design on the older units - looks like they improved several aspects also - including infeed/outfeed capacity.

Shavings are cool too
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I was thinking that would be the final face. No sanding needed.. in fact sanding might wreck the surface ..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

Indeed Rick, that's what I recall the mantle / Japanese architecture guy doing with his machine. Those cool japanese garden sculptures (sorry, I'm a noob, where's Stu when you need him? <grin>) are beautifully simple and there is no such thing as 'too exact' in Japanese carpentry
Smile

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
Delta had one too - called a Uniplane.

One was for sale not too long ago in ATL for $200-$300.

It has a vertical blade and looks just like a meat slicer to me.

Attached Files Image(s)

The uniplane is not the same animal.  It used a rotary disk with a small cutter that spun around as the wood was pushed through against a fence.

[Image: uniplane.jpg]