garage door cable fail-why would it contract
I suppose possible. I've got my mechanic buddy coming on Saturday to put new cables on it.
Cables twist over time especially when used on pulleys and rolled up. Look at the mining industry and when they cut test pieces out of their elevator lift cables they have a jig to hold it to cut the piece out. Then after its cut they slowly release the brake and let the cable untwist. Lots of stored energy in those cables from the twist.
Some doors systems will allow you to reverse the door direction while in motion.  Seems to me that would allow too much pressure on a cable.

One  issue I had was that I had the installer replace a frayed cable still under warranty-two years- and it failed again. He replaced the cable and it failed again in several months.  He then ordered a cable that was heavier duty and the problem went away.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)