Stanley Tools aquires Lenox, Irwin, and Hilmor
Earlier this month Newell Brands put elements of its tool business up for sale and within a week’s time came to terms with Stanley Black & Decker, which agreed to pay $1.95 billion for Lenox, Irwin, and Hilmor. If the sale is approved by regulators SB&D—already the world’s largest tool company with 15% market share—will become even larger.

linky

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Black & Decker have some smart people running the show. But I have a low opinion of B&D quality.  I have never paid for a B&D tool and have only three DeWalt tools.  IMO quality suffered when B&D took over Porter Cable and DeWalt.  Hope they stay away from Bosh, Makita,  and Milwaukee.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
That's understatement about porter cable quality!
-Marc

I have always held Lenox products in very high regard. I really hope their product quality remains at the very high level it is today.
(10-18-2016, 05:51 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: I have always held Lenox products in very high regard.  I really hope their product quality remains at the very high level it is today.

I agree.

Irwin otoh.....has been a SBD wannabe, buy a good American company with USA made tools, close the plant and offshore manufacturing.

Ed
(10-18-2016, 02:58 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Black & Decker have some smart people running the show. But I have a low opinion of B&D quality.  I have never paid for a B&D tool and have only three DeWalt tools.  IMO quality suffered when B&D took over Porter Cable and DeWalt.  Hope they stay away from Bosh, Makita,  and Milwaukee.

Many years ago B&D had a line of tools they called the industrial line. These were good tools, I don't remember exactly who bought who but I think it was the mid 80's. The industrial line went away and the crappy yellow tools with mass marketing appeared.  Over the years I got to know the manager at the local factory repair center (he retired last year after 30 some years with B&D).  He was a great guy and was always upbeat about Dewalt B&D. Not long after they bought Delta PC He told me that he hoped they wouldn't ruin the Delta tools like everything else they bought.  it wasn't long after PC started getting turned into homeowner level stuff his attitude started changing and he started talking about retiring.
The last few months he filled me in on some interesting tidbits. Even Confirmed some suspicions I had about some of the tools.  
It's too late for Milwaukee they already have been purchased by somebody but given my imense collection of Makita tools I hope they never sell out.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)