New Shop space- electrical considerations
If you use fluorescent type fixtures don't hard wire them in, use a 2 or 4 gang outlets then you can easily change the height or position of the lights, plus you end up with extra outlets.

Also if your plans call for 2 gang double them.....

-- mos maiorum
I did mine with external conduit and receptacle boxes too. I tried to figure out what I would need so I ran Black, white, red, yellow through the conduit to two circuits of different phases. I alternated circuits every plug (4ft) that way no two adjacent plugs were on the same circuit. I alternated the receptacle colors too to try to keep it straight in my head. I used the 4 wire set up so I could run 220 on one of the circuits in the future if needed with no new wires to pull.  Everything is documented at the box. I did the same thing on the other side of the shop except only ran a 3-wire set. Don't figure that side will need 220 but I like the alternating setup.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
When I had my shop built, I let my contractor talk me into just a couple of circuits. What a mistake that was! Fortunately, he had the foresight to put in a 100 amp panel. Since that time, I've added 8 additional 120 - 20 amp circuits and a 220 circuit. I put 3 120 outlets on the west wall and 3 on the east. I also put 2 120 outlets in the ceiling and mounted a reel-type extension cord next to each of the ceiling outlets. I dropped the 220 outlet from the ceiling over where my table saw is located. So far this configuration does well and meets my needs.

By the way, you haven't asked about lighting but if I were building today I'd install all the LED lights I could afford. The ones I've seen put out very clean, white light. And, I think that they're getting down in price, too.
My shop is the back portion of an extra deep garage. I hung paper mill felt, cut into strips, to divide it off from the garage. The overlapping strips allow access through this divider at any point [like the cooler doorway at the grocery store].
I have a couple work benches in the middle of the shop. I dropped down from the ceiling  with heavy cord for electric. [type SO] I used strain relief connectors and supported the hanging box with swing set chain fastened to the back of the box and to the ceiling. I made the height about 2 ft above the workbench, There is a hook on the back of the box so if it is in the way I can hook it higher on the chain.
I ran an air line from beside the garage door to the center of the shop and dropped down with a coil hose that will reach anywhere in the shop. This keeps the noisy compressor away from the shop and handy for other uses. I can hook the air hose up on the electric box chain to keep it out of the way. I did not hard pipe the air line, just ran good quality rubber hose exposed.
I ran the outlet circuits through a contactor  with a lighted push button switch so that with one push all the power to anything plugged in is turned off, except for two outlets for charging batteries etc. These are a different colored outlet. 
Light fixtures are chain hung plugged into ceiling outlets so they can be easily relocated.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I like that I have most outlets powered from a wall switch- both 240v 2 pole and 120v single pole. I kill the switches when I'm done working or if I need to work on a machine. Nothing is powered when I leave if I choose.

I like that I have all breakers numbered, and each outlet or switch cover, light, or J box, has the breakers number on it.
figure out how many outlets you think you need, then double it.  think about it some more, and add another 50%.  

I thought I put in enough outlets when I built my shop, but every so often I find that I have to run extension cords because what I want to do there aren't enough outlets nearby.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark