self-adhesive velvet -- in bulk?
I'm working on several jewelry boxes for gifts.   I use adhesive-backed velvet -- usually black in color -- to cover the 1/4" ply box bottom.  When I last made a few of these, I was able to find large sheets of adhesive-backed velvet at an affordable price.  (Rocker carries it, but at a ridiculous price.  An on-line search hasn't been very helpful -- again very high prices for single sheets of a fixed measure.)  Do you know of a source for this product?  Since I use it pretty freely, buying in bulk would be fine with me.  Thanks!
Try this LINK and see if it what you want.   Comes by the foot 48" wide  Roly Scroll down to velvet fabric.
When you want real bulk, talk to the Alibaba man

Outside of that it's pretty much piecemeal online. A lot of this

If it were me looking I would go local on this, and first stop would be the biggest fabric store around, they would probably have to order it, but they could get something, probably from a guy, who knows a guy, who knows Alibaba.

Actually I lied. If it were me, I would use Donjer Flocking By the time you cut the paperbacked stuff, and fit it tight to all the corners, and made sure you were all set, you could flock 5 boxes, just saying.....
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Yup. Go Flock yourself.

Somebody had to say it
Wink
-Marc

Good ideas; McMaster Carr fits the bill exactly.  Thanks teach of you for your suggestions.  One of these days I'll have to try flocking.
I go to a fabric store (like Joanne Fabrics) and buy the material and some poster board.  I cut the poster board to size and use spray adhesive to bond the fabric to the poster board.  Then it is a simple matter to use double sided tape, glue, or spray adhesive to bond the poster board to the bottom or side of the box.
I used to be a picture framer.  We used fabric covered mat board to cover the interiors of shadow boxes.  It is quick and looks totally professional.  I recommend it.

You can buy the mat board wholesale from UMS:  http://www.unitedmfrscatalog.com/home/index.htm

You cut the pieces to size and you can use any glue to stick the rigid pieces in place.  We always used adhesive transfer tape from an adhesive transfer gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Adhesive-A...B007VTQC64
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the help--good ideas and experience brought to bear to solve the problem.  I'll check out our local fabric shop.
I just looked it up, and neither Crescent nor Bainbridge is offering velvet covered board anymore.  Apparently the surface was too easily bruised.  They are offering silk and linen covered boards, and if those suit your taste that is a very efficient way to line a box.

If you know someone with a dry mounting press (photographers and picture framers have these) it is a much more efficient way to mount fabric onto board than using spray.  

Also using positional mounting sheets is a foolproof way to mount fabric to board.  You lay the sheet on the board and using a squeegee (supplied with the adhesive) you transfer the adhesive to the board.  Then you apply the fabric which can be re-positioned as required.  After you've gotten all the wrinkles out of the fabric you put the release paper that you removed over the fabric and use the squeegee again to permanently bond the fabric to the board.

It is two steps, but very clean and re-positionable.

Available from Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/568-Positionable-...+sheets+3M
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.